OpenMPT example song compo - extended deadline (2015-08-12)

Started by Saga Musix, July 01, 2015, 08:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Muzozavr

Awesome! I've read about some of the new features, those will be very useful for me...

... and I've been truly humbled, listening to the example songs and finding myself not even remotely in the same league. I was foolish to think that I had any chance at this. I still think "Warning" is kinda cool, but holy shit some of these songs are going to be the bane of my university classmates, I'm gonna be humming these days afterwards.

Good that I had a chance to get the old version of slightly_strange, too. Thanks for making that possible.

Saga Musix

Quote... and I've been truly humbled, listening to the example songs and finding myself not even remotely in the same league. I was foolish to think that I had any chance at this.
The key is to keep practicing! ;) We all started small many years ago. And the more entries to the compo, the better!
"Warning" had some nice ideas but also sounded pretty random at times.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ida

Yeah, i'd agree. When i first tried making tracker music in 2008, i made way worse stuff than the entries you made. Seriously. I never want to be reminded of the crap i made back then...

Then i just kept messing around, sometimes copying parts and effects from other songs to see what they'd do. Eventually i got the hang of it. Even now, the music i make now is nowhere near the music i made two years ago. You just need to practice a lot and mess around with OpenMPT's features until you understand them.

Muzozavr

Quote from: Saga Musix on August 16, 2015, 21:52:05
Quote... and I've been truly humbled, listening to the example songs and finding myself not even remotely in the same league. I was foolish to think that I had any chance at this.
The key is to keep practicing! ;) We all started small many years ago. And the more entries to the compo, the better!
"Warning" had some nice ideas but also sounded pretty random at times.
I take it you didn't like the shakuhachi, then. Or was it the echoing electro-bells that sounded too amorphous?

Thing is, this actually alerted me to how good a single properly used sample can sound -- as soon as I got my hands on soundfonts/VSTs I pretty much forgot about actual tracker samples... AND effects, because they used to not work with VSTs -- I think some of them still don't, right? But, apparently, some do... I tried this just for fun, but actually found a few sounds that I will use continously. I especially love what happens if you put the "City Guitar" sample on low octaves under reverb, it's such a menacing bass sound. So, in a way, this taught me a lot, actually.

LPChip

I too checked the examplesongs and there are indeed some pretty good songs in there.

I did noticed most songs tend to follow the same kind of style, which seems to be either how our userbase likes to go or perhaps also how the samplepack makes people go. Nothing bad of course, but for example songs more variety of styles would've been nice I think.

One of the things that happened to me in the past, was that I left an audio app because the examplesongs were all dance songs which seemed that the tool was mostly used for making that kind of music. I was obviously wrong, but had too little experience to know. Now I will challenge that and make my own style regardless of what others do. A good example of that is the DS-10. Most people used the Korg DS-10 to make dance/house/techno kind of music. I went for various styles and released it to youtube, and soon others were doing it too. :)

To get back on topic here, I am making music for 22 years now, and even now, I still get better and better. I do enjoy listening to my older music, but I also find that I have older songs that are crap compared to what I can do now. I even have listened to music that I made when I had say... 4 years of experience or even 8, and those songs just plain suck. I listen to them from time to time to hear the ideas I had, and use them in new songs, but I can't really enjoy those songs anymore.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

ida

Quote from: LPChip on August 17, 2015, 10:24:07I did noticed most songs tend to follow the same kind of style, which seems to be either how our userbase likes to go or perhaps also how the samplepack makes people go.

Except for me, since i forgot to use the sample pack. :-[ I'll try to make another song using it though.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Muzozavr on August 17, 2015, 08:22:37
AND effects, because they used to not work with VSTs -- I think some of them still don't, right?
Actually most of them do these days, but it's not always easy to let the plugin know about them - because, as I've said countless times, the concept of volume is very different in modules and MIDI. There is no standardized way to change the volume of a playing note in MIDI and thus in VST plugins.

QuoteI did noticed most songs tend to follow the same kind of style
I actually think that the example songs are rather diverse, but the samples lend themselves perfectly to synthpop and related styles of course. It's hard to do e.g. a hard rock with these samples. :P But yes, the more diverse styles I can include in the pack, the better, so if you come up with any new tunes, let me know!
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Saga, I'll try and make something completely different with these samples and let you know. :) Challenge accepted.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

May i also try making another example track using only the example samples?
I finaly found some inspiration after a long while and made something amusing using the example samples.
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

Quote from: FreezeFlame(Alchemy) on August 18, 2015, 19:56:56
May i also try making another example track using only the example samples?
Why do you ask, do you think I care about what you do or don't do in your spare time?
The only answer I can give that if you make something on the same level your previous tune, it will most likely not make it into the example pack.

ida

LPChip

Quote from: WouterVL on August 18, 2015, 22:24:57
wow rude

I'd say its honest, not rude. But don't see this as a way to not even try it. You can always try, You already have no and may get a yes. Not trying means you definitely have a no.

Muzozavr

I see it this way:

"You miss 100% of the shots you don't make" (Wayne Gretzky)

arseniiv

Indeed. For example, I hadn't even signed in, so there exists someone that even hasn't got no no! ;D
Feel free to correct my English.
Music & sounds: [Freesound] [SoundCloud] [Direct links to music]

anosci

QuoteBy the way, we are still looking for new example songs to ship with the tracker. If you are interested, grab the samples found in the installation directory under ExampleSongs\Samples and use them to create a song, following the rules from the example song compo!
Oh! that's still open?

has anyone made a demo song showing off the custom tuning? (or is that even sharable?) I've experimented with that a good bit and could probably public-domain-ify some of my better tunes :D