OpenMPT example song compo - extended deadline (2015-08-12)

Started by Saga Musix, July 01, 2015, 08:52:40

Previous topic - Next topic

ida

I'm not really sure what to do. I have two songs for this. One is an 8-bit song i made earlier that i changed to MPTM which i replaced it's tempo effects with the tempo swing feature. I actually posted a small bit of it on SoundCloud before which can be heard here, it's (as you may guess) the first song of the five. The other is a longer 8-bit style song, which i made in MPTM format and is much longer and more inspired by the current example songs (meaning i added a ton of delays to all the instruments). It's still unfinished though and it needs an intro and some lower sounds and things.

Should i just upload the already finished song or should i continue working on the other song?

Saga Musix

Note that in case it wasn't obvious (I've added it to the rules now): You can enter more than one song into the compo! If you want you can continue working on both or just finish one of them... it's hard to decide if you just post one of them. ;)

Edit: Longer and more technical is almost always better for an example song, though.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

ida

Oh. In that case, i've sent the first one in! I'll still try to finish the second one and send that in too.

LPChip

Oh, 2 songs wasn't clear to me either. If I knew I might've made a 2nd. Not sure if I will now though. Maybe... as the deadline has been extended.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

What might be the text for activating lossyWAV to convert an FLAC file at ''high'' quality? I can't get it to work, since it can't read the FLAC files i made (exported from OpenMPT).
Blue Flames of the Night.

Was known as Alchemy before(with an Dialga picture).

Saga Musix

As the name suggests, lossyWAV operates on WAV files.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

Then how did you managed to compress your FLAC files in the sample pack?

Saga Musix

Please read the lossyWAV page to actually understand how this tool works.

Saga Musix

One more clarification for some last minute entries: Submitted tunes don't need to be specifically made for this compo.  If you want, you can for example upgrade an existing module to use the provided sample pack. Or if you have any other cool tune that doesn't use these samples but shows off the MPTM format really nicely, this would work as well.

ida

I didn't really bother finishing my other song. I may aswell post it unfinished somewhere soon though. In the end i felt it was a bit too random and experimental for my taste and it didn't really use any new features of MPTM at all either.

I'm still very excited to see how my main entry will do though. Can't wait to see the results!

FreezeFlame(Alchemy)

QuoteI'm still very excited to see how my main entry will do though. Can't wait to see the results!
Me to :).

LPChip

Me three. :)

But as far as I know, the competition was set with this deadline because the new version is days from releasing and the songs that made it will be in that download.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Muzozavr

Tried to improve "Slightly Strange", but only had a few days to do that, so it didn't work out that well... bleh.

Sent "Warning", which I did right after "Slightly Strange" and completely forgot about until yesterday... not very "technical", but actually uses some DirectAudio effects (or whatever they are called), so there is something to show, at least. Plus, my dad really liked this one. It's a dark horror track, then SUDDENLY SHAKUHACHI LOL, but I think it worked...

Still too amateur for any serious tracking "technique", but THANK YOU for the sample pack, some awesome sounds there.

No idea if I'm late or not and if the extended deadline ended at 12th or if it's still going. The site for uploading is still active, though...

EDIT: Is it possible for me to download slightly_strange from that archive? I think I lost the first version while messing around and trying to improve it.

Saga Musix

OpenMPT 1.25 has been released and includes the 8 best tracks from the compo. Thanks to everyone who participated, even if not all entries made it into the final pack. If you want to give the pack another try, there's always room for more songs in future versions, so don't hesitate to post more tunes made using the sample pack here if you want them to be included in the OpenMPT package.

All entries (except of my own, which I didn't upload to the platform) can now be found on s3m.it.

ida

:D

Really cool to have my own music featured in my favourite music program. I nearly couldn't believe it at first, haha.

I've decided to post it to YouTube and SoundCloud as well. I'll make a topic on it in a moment.