Is Modplug for the Proffesional?

Started by KrazyKatz, March 15, 2006, 15:26:09

Previous topic - Next topic

yrk

Quote from: "LPChip"I do work at a bank

So can you, like, get free money and stuff?  ;D

Quote from: "Snu"2) the extremely confusing plugin system (makes mixing very hard, tho recently i have been exporting instrument tracks, and mixing in tracktion which seems much more suited to that).

This is, IMO, one of the biggest problems with MPT right now...

The paradigm of having an effect on e.g. an aux channel and then being able to send from various channels at various levels to that effect, is the way it usually works on a real mixing console. As far as I can tell, this is not possible in MPT.

So for example if I have a reverb effect, I might want to send a only a little bit of guitar through it but quite a bit of lead vocal but you can't do that in MPT (I think). We need the ability to create submixes or mix groups  and route them through effects...
while (1) { fork(); }

LPChip

Quote from: "yrk"
Quote from: "LPChip"I do work at a bank

So can you, like, get free money and stuff?  ;D

I wish :lol:
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

rncekel

Quote from: "yrk"

So for example if I have a reverb effect, I might want to send a only a little bit of guitar through it but quite a bit of lead vocal but you can't do that in MPT (I think). We need the ability to create submixes or mix groups  and route them through effects...

This is not true. You can have as many reverb (for example) effects as instruments (if you want to), and adjust each individually to your taste. So, I see no problem with this.

anboi

i see the reverb thing as a big problem too (or whatever effect, but yeah i most often use reverb in this way.) it is possible to use loads of duplicate reverbs but its so much more efficient to have 2 reverbs and variable amount of wet/dry per channel.

xaimus

Quote from: "anboi"i see the reverb thing as a big problem too (or whatever effect, but yeah i most often use reverb in this way.) it is possible to use loads of duplicate reverbs but its so much more efficient to have 2 reverbs and variable amount of wet/dry per channel.
Create two duplicate instruments, one sent through a "dry" effect chain, the other sent through a reverb chain.  Adjust the instrument volumes accordingly.

Done and done.

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"I take it you have never used FL Studio then?
I did use it for a while and chose different.

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"If you have 8 kHz 8 bit samples, everyting above 4 kHz will disappear. You'd have to have very bad hearing
I was talking about the resampling algoritm, not about the material of the source.

Quote from: "speed-goddamn-focus"that's irrelevant since we're talking about samples that will be processed and mixed
You're right. As with graphic files, all the editing must be done with the best possible original.

Besides this, I think there is a bit too much emphasis on the element 'quality of the sound' as defined by frequency-ranges and clock-speed. An underestimated aspect of the representation is the 'quality of dynamics'.
The resolution of the amplitudes, the quality of a sound being very soft or very loud.
People say : well, this mp3 sounds good enough, despite the original from audio-cd. But they only pay attention to the quality of the sound-'color', while the whole dynamics of the song are more or less gone.

anboi

Quote from: "xaimus"
Create two duplicate instruments, one sent through a "dry" effect chain, the other sent through a reverb chain.  Adjust the instrument volumes accordingly.

Done and done.

yeah but when i'm running 20 channels of drums through a reverb then i have to duplicate 20 channels again and thats not very efficient either, although its better than 20 reverbs by a long way!
having thought about this more i reckon that this is one of the main failings of modplug when compared to regular music programs - i expect every multi-track audio program to have a per-channel effect-send percent changer.  err, or whatever you call it!
by the way - i am a semi-pro music maker (in that i have released music made in modplug on a proper label + play gigs using modplug but i don't make a living from it). i know my way around live, cubase and modplug but choose modplug for everything but the final final mixes (cubase for that) and that's because i don't trust modplugs mixing quite as much (i actually have no sound basis for this) and because cubase has the ability to change the percent going to effects. adding both that ability and the power to automate it somehow in the effects channel (and any other automatables that are currently missing) will pretty much leave me just using modplug.
i think that what the regular user will miss most about modplug compared to 'professional' audio sequencers is the full midi support (ability to change any vst params through a midi controller, send notes to external hardware etc. etc.) but this does not affect me since i have no midi gear.

oh, and finally: www.myspace.com/greenbank to check out some info on my 'superstar' alter-ego

Snu

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Besides this, I think there is a bit too much emphasis on the element 'quality of the sound' as defined by frequency-ranges and clock-speed. An underestimated aspect of the representation is the 'quality of dynamics'.
The resolution of the amplitudes, the quality of a sound being very soft or very loud.
People say : well, this mp3 sounds good enough, despite the original from audio-cd. But they only pay attention to the quality of the sound-'color', while the whole dynamics of the song are more or less gone.

dynamics? mp3 compression has nothing to do with the dynamics...
besides, 99% of modern music has no dynamics anyway, and radio streams are HORRIBLY compressed beyond that (gah, i cant even listen to the radio it buggs me too much).