Octave transposition buttons for the Sample tab

Started by vince94, March 27, 2014, 15:40:44

Previous topic - Next topic

vince94

I've got a feature request! Could someone put in buttons to transpose a sample up/down for exactly one octave?
When you drop certain out-of-tune samples into a project, they play either too low or too high after being Tuned, and this would make fixing that a lot quicker than sifting through the Transpose menu.
I've also had this small, nitpicky issue when using samples that had been naturally recorded at really low octaves, like bass guitars.

Saga Musix

This is something that should usually go into our issue tracker. I will think about it, but it will probably not make it into the next release...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Also, for the time being, if you copy the current frequency into your windows calculator and you do that value times 2 you get one octave up, divide by 2 and you get one octave down.

For example, the frequency of your note is 440. One octave up is 880, one octave down is 220.

This value does correspond with the Transpose: note selection that is directly below it. Alternatively click on it and then type the letter that you want to use on your keyboard enough times to get the desired result.

If for example you have it set to C-4, pressing the C once changes it to C#4. Pressing the C once more sets it to C-5.

I hope this helps at least a little bit.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on March 27, 2014, 17:13:34
Also, for the time being, if you copy the current frequency into your windows calculator and you do that value times 2 you get one octave up, divide by 2 and you get one octave down.
Yeah captain obvious, opening a calculator is of course soooo much easier and more efficient than changing e.g. "C-5" to "C-6" or "C-4" in the transpose settings... ::) Seriously?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Surprisingly, for some people it is easier to copy/paste than to select a value from a drop-down box, especially since you can script the copy/paste to calc.exe, perform the calculation and copying the result back to OpenMPT, bind it to a key and do it with the press of a button. (assuming people still use programs such as auto-it or auto-hotkey.)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

If you really want to use automation tools for this task, you'd better automate them to press the up or down key 12 times on the transpose box. This guy searches for an actual solution instead of a workaround and what you give them is yet another workaround.

LPChip

Saga Musix

Alright, after cleaning up some code, this could be implemented properly using shortcuts: http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe
By default (if available), this will use the same default shortcuts as in the pattern editor for transposition (i.e. Ctrl+(Shift+)Q/A) to increase or decrease the middle-C frequency by a semitone or octave. Feel free to choose other shortcuts using the keyboard options.