[BUG] Last build : sample preview too loud

Started by phanoo, March 04, 2014, 21:44:44

Previous topic - Next topic

phanoo

Since the last update the previewed samples from the left side (dls, sf2 banks, samples in default directories) are played very loud when i click on them. checking "No loud sample preview" in setup=>general doesnt affect anything. am i the only to have this problem?

Saga Musix

Yes, sample preview is fixed at 0dB, i.e. the samples are played as loud as they would be in any other application.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

phanoo

Then the user should be allowed to set the preview volume. 0dB is REALLY TOO MUCH, it's the SATURATION LIMIT, all samples will play softer when used into the track.

Currently, if you set your speaker's volume to compose, you are forced to turn the volume down before previewing samples. It's quite irritating and i hope it will be fixed

Saga Musix

The problem is, any other default would be completely arbitrary, so what would be a better solution? One approach could be to copy the currently edited module's sample pre-amp value over to the preview, but I'm not sure whether that's a smart thing to do. After all, this would mean that depending on which module you edit, the preview will have a different volume.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

phanoo

I dunno what default was used before but it was better (maybe half volume?). 0dB is also arbitrary... Just please add a preview volume slider somewhere in the options (or a value in an INI file).
but is it normal that checking "no loud sample preview" has no effect ?

Saga Musix

0dB isn't arbitrary since it's a clearly defined value and pretty much implies that the original audio is left untouched. The old values, on the other hand, was completely arbitrary because I can't even tell you what it was - it was using an unspecified mix mode, an unspecified sample pre-amp and was thus completely random. The new behaviour has a clearly defined volume. As I said, it might be a good idea to base it on the currently edited module's volume, or it might be a bad idea. I'll just go after the general opinion if people think that would be a sensible solution (I personally prefer the 0dB preview at the moment).

By the way, please report bugs on the issue tracker the next time - the forums aren't supposed to be abused as a bug tracker anymore.

phanoo

ok i'll check the bug tracker

How can you prefer the 0dB preview, since it is MUCH louder than the song you are currently working on ?

Saga Musix

I generally have the pre-amp as loud as possible, i.e. just so loud that it doesn't clip. That means that my sample previews are about the same volume as the whole tune.

Saga Musix

Here's a modified build where, as long as "no loud samples" is checked, the treeview preview is as loud as the sample editor preview of the last focussed module. http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe

phanoo