Tuning Properties are grayed out ?

Started by vind, February 19, 2014, 15:08:20

Previous topic - Next topic

vind

I'm fairly new to this subject and no tech-savvy about it, but I would like to experiment with the musical temperament that is labelled 'just intonation'. I figured that a tracker module has to be formatted as an Open ModPlug module, in order to enable the Tuning Properties under the Instruments tab. However, when I open the Alternative Tuning drop-down menu and select 'Control Tunings', all the fields are grayed out, and there's basically nothing I can edit. The import and export buttons appear to work, but I don't have any temperament tuning files available, as far as I'm aware. Is there anywhere I could download such a file for pure intonation ? I would appreciate if someone could give me a few guidelines as to how to convert a module from equal temperament to pure tuning.

LPChip

In the Tuning properties dialog, on the left side is a treeview. Select any of the main keys (Buikd-in tunings, Local tunings, Tune specific tunings or Sandbox) and right click it. Then you'll get Add tuning.

From there you can edit and save.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Where "any" would not contain the "built-in tunings" of course, because that group only ever contains the tunings that ship with OpenMPT. You can also move / copy an existing tuning such as the default one to another group by dragging it to the target group.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vind

Thanks for pointing that out, guys. Is it possible that someone could help me out with creating a just intonation temperament ? I don't really understand the technical aspect of ratios and how to calculate these things, so is there anywhere I can download a sheet file or something ?? Or maybe someone could help me fill in the correct values for each box ?

Saga Musix

I don't really have an experience with the tuning stuff as I don't use it and didn't create it. Did you already read the help sections about tuning? If not, please do so. Maybe Harbinger can shed some light on this, too, as I recall that he has worked with alternate tunings quite a bit. He even created a just temperament that you could try out.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vind

Thank you, Saga Musix ! That .tun file is exactly what I was on the look for ! Much appreciated. ;)