MPT OHM 1.19.01 AVAILABLE!

Started by Harbinger, May 09, 2011, 22:31:54

Previous topic - Next topic

rodsmine

On 1 Aug, 2013, I copied all of the manual pages from the Wiki and converted them into an offline PDF manual. All internal links are hot; the only links that go to the web are those that should - such as links to the site to get the mp3 library. You can get the PDF from my public SkyDrive folder:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=d8b2e5256c75c28e&page=self&resid=D8B2E5256C75C28E!745&parid=D8B2E5256C75C28E!139&authkey=!AmOZ7SDNX_c0Iow&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share

The file was made with FrameMaker v6 (source files available on request). I also have a Word 2003 version of the document - it was an intermediate format for me (easier to work with). I am unable to get hot internal links (other than TOC+LOF links) in a PDF made from Word; but the links are hot within Word itself. I suppose it can also be available if someone wants it.

sso

Rakib

^^

Saga Musix

The main difference is that many supposed-to-be-interal links in the "official" generated PDF aren't internal, because the converter seems to have problems with some of them (e.g. when having #hash targets). More importantly, there is no way to colour or underline links with this PDF generator, which kind of sucks because you only recognize links when hovering them.

However, the solution to both problems isn't to go some complicated way to manually generate this manual (pardon the pun), but rather find a good way to create a CHM version of the manual. coda has started on a very simple converter which would simply download all manual pages and images, comment out the navigation code and replace links, but that's not really perfect, mostly because there was obviously a lot of unnecessary MediaWiki markup in it, and clickable screenshots would still point to an external source.

I guess the best way to solve this would be to always embed full-size screenshots and expand them using javascript, but that would require more than simple document downloading and search&replace, and I don't really have the time to fiddle around with it. Optimally, one would use the MediaWiki API for this instead of scraping the website, too.
If anyone else would actually like to give this idea a try, let me know, and I can provide you the already existing scraping code.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

I started a CHM version with more up-to-date info but i haven't touched it in many moons due to all my other projects. I will provide for Jojo later so he can do with it what he wishes.

More on this later....

Saga Musix

You did a tremendous job on the PDF version, but do you really think I'd go back to an outdated, hard to maintain CHM version just for the sake of having a CHM version? I've clearly outlined my plans in the post above, I just need someone who'd be up to help on the coding part.
That said, if you did add any new interesting chapters to the CHM version, there's of course always the possibility to porting them over.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.