LabChirp - great sample generator

Started by darkhog, August 09, 2013, 22:01:11

Previous topic - Next topic

darkhog

While author markets it as sample generator for games, LabChirp makes also good sample generator for using in modules, IMO.

Oh by the way, I'm Darkhog, and has been making chiptunes for quite some time under a name of Ch1p M45t3r, mainly with Klystrack and Sunvox because I had yet to find good sample generator (sfxr/bfxr was useless for this and I guess LabChirp is perfect) and those two offer procedural sound.

Perhaps we could ask author of LabChirp to give us his code for inclusion with OpenMPT - such powerful sample generator would make life easier for all module music maker (samples would be rendered and saved inside .xm/.it/.mod, for .openmpt format perhaps we could make so it would store info needed to synthesize sample for smaller size).

Saga Musix

I don't think it would make sense to include a specific, limited synthesizer with OpenMPT - we have VST plugins for that purpose. Once OpenMPT gets scripting support, sample manipulation through scripts will definitely be a possible feature, though, so someone could port the code to make a scripted version of the synth.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

darkhog

Well, no one will force you to use it, just like nobody forced Digibooster or FT2 user to use their synthesizers. You could always import your samples/use your favorite VST, but such addition would be cool for people without access to good samples/VSTs.

LPChip

I have to agree with Saga Musix here, that it would be pointless now to include a synthesis engine into OpenMPT since you already can do VSTi's. If that weren't possible, synthesis would be really awesome. I used the synthesis engine from Scream Tracker too unto a point, but didn't miss it when composing in Impulse Tracker.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The point is, why should it be this synthesis engine and not another / better one? Why not include the Synth1 engine (or any other VST) in OpenMPT, while we're at it? In the end, everyone wants a different synth and OpenMPT will end up as bloatware. Everyone can have access to great free VST synths and samples these days, the "Web Resources" link in the OpenMPT help menu points you at quite a few sample sources in fact. But as said, once scripting is in place, everyone can include their favourite synth engine directly in OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

oxxi

Just wondering but how exactly would one be able to script a synth engine directly into OpenMpt? Seems like a neat idea, but I'm curious on how scripting would be implemented for this to work.  Anyways, I myself don't like using Vst Instruments in OpenMpt. I'm usually just sample based and my 'synth engine' is basically chip samples and Modplug's own filters. I would like a way to control the cutoff and resonance with a midi controller though, so I'll probably make a request soon if one hasn't been made.
////

LPChip

Quote from: oxxi on August 19, 2013, 02:54:16
I would like a way to control the cutoff and resonance with a midi controller though, so I'll probably make a request soon if one hasn't been made.

No need to make a request for that. This is already possible. In fact Impulse Tracker was even able to do this. Or at least with them you could program them in. In OpenMPT you'd need to assign the right knob to the right setting. But given that you can already control this with Zxx events, and most likely too with the PCM's, it should be possible to also link it to a controller.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: oxxi on August 19, 2013, 02:54:16
Just wondering but how exactly would one be able to script a synth engine directly into OpenMpt? Seems like a neat idea, but I'm curious on how scripting would be implemented for this to work.
Well, I have already implemented a sample generator that translates math formulas into samples, but the generator GUI is not scripting based. If I manage to finish the scripting engine and add the possibility to create dialogs through scripting, I could just genereate the GUI as well with a script and everything would work completely without OpenMPT having to provide everything by itself.

And yeah, you could record MIDI controller changes to patterns and then select the right MIDI macros for controlling cutoff / resonance using that.