Volumes (CC 07) correspondances in Kontakt

Started by RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER), July 31, 2013, 22:57:31

Previous topic - Next topic

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)

Hi,

Maybe a silly question ;-)

I have noticed that when setting CC 07 to Z7F value for a Kontakt instrument, it corresponds to the mid of the total volume value of the Kontakt instrument.

Shouldn't it correspond to full value ? (since beyond 7F, there is no change)

Saga Musix

Well, all I can say is that OpenMPT send bog-standard MIDI CCs. 7F is the maximum value of a MIDI CC. It's up to the synthesizer/plugin to translate this value into something sensible. So if Kontakt says that this value is half volume, you may want to ask the Kontakt people why that is the case. :) It could be a bug in Kontakt, after all.
You should be able to observe the same behaviour when sending MIDI CC 7 from an external MIDI controller to the plugin.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I bet they have a 2nd value to do the upper half, so they increase the resolution by a factor of two. (like CC08)

Or you have actually exceeeded the maximum value, and gives you a center. I've seen this happen. That the maximum was like 40 hex, and going above it would either ignore the value completely, or set a fixed value.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The standard would be to use CC07 for coarse volume adjustment and CC32 for finer adjustment. So if they use that second CC in another way, Kontakt is completely upside down. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

The next I found while searching and although the topic is completely unrelated, the question about CC#7 is raised.

Anyway, I've got another problem and I still don't know how it can be solved.

In what Reaper calls "raw mode", the range of CC#7 goes from 0 to 127.
On its maximum value (e.g. 127), the Kontakt instrument's volume is set to -6dB only (its maximum value is 12dB) ; and on a half level of the CC#7 control (e.g. 63), the Kontakt instrument's volume is set to only... -24.2dB !

What I would like to do of course, is to make the min CC#7 value match the min volume level into Kontakt, and that the max CC#7 value match the max volume level into Lontakt, so that I can adjust my settings in the whole range of possible values..

A reply states:

have a look at the settings on the Instrument Options > Controller tab. (section 6.1.3 in the Kontakt manual)

and then the person who had the problem responds:

Thanx a lot !
As a matter of fact, the "MIDI controller #7 (volume) range" option is precisely here for it...

By the way, the section is not 6.1.3 but 7.1.3
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

RG (aka AUDIOMONSTER)