Crashes with Windows sounds

Started by sso, July 09, 2013, 23:44:15

Previous topic - Next topic

sso

...oh my gawds.

puters.

i googled around bit.

with a deleted audiodg and disabling the network card.

so far the crackling completely stops, on a large vst instance song.

mjeh, unless you guys have better solutions, ill just stop at this, least till im done with the music im making.

its bliss to be able to hear the music again.

Saga Musix

To me it sounds like you should probably do a clean reinstall of your operating system. And probably ditch the original soundcard drivers while you're at it in favour of the kX drivers or whatever the SoundBlaster kids use these days.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

I'm one of those SB kids... :/ :nuts: and I use a modified set of soundblaster drivers. Someone recreated the soundcard drives also for the audigy, but also for the X-Fi and made it so that the drivers actually work. Since, I have a stable system and everything works as it should.

Also did the same for a colleague and he also got a stable system after wards.

From here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=327083

You would need this one: http://forums.guru3d.com/showpost.php?p=3671387&postcount=2
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

sso

ah the bliss of eternal childhood, (36 and still get asked for a license at the drugstore.)

thanks guys, ill check this out.

sso

Lchip.

those daniel k drivers.

i downloaded from the location you gave me.

when i clicked the file to install, it started to, then my usb drive stopped working for a moment, then when it started up again, the entire directory was deemed corrupt by windows and made totally unaccessible.

(that directory had a bunch of other stuff.) (lol and i just spent hours reinstalling windows prior (all my driver discs were mysteriously gone and i needed to install my hdd in another computer and all sorts of stuff.)

any ideas about this?

sso

lol, two restarts later, the folder reappeared.

seems it did install but weirdly, mpt does not work really well with these drivers, or so it seems, maybe ill give a lil whack at it later.

so, saga, care to share a link to that recommended (by you.) asio soundcard?

Saga Musix

I've never had any problems with ESI products. Depending on your needs and funds, you could either get the Juli@ XTe or Maya XTe. Both are PCIe cards, so relatively future-proof for now. I started out with the Juli@ (PCI version of the Juli@ XTe), it has one stereo input and one stereo output, so if that's enough for you, you get some really high quality stuff. Otherwise, I guess the Maya XTe could be a bit cheaper, has two stereo inputs / outputs but doesn't come with a MIDI interface anymore as far as I can see - and "only" goes up to 96 KHz instead of 192 KHz, but that's really not a problem. ESI drivers have been solid for me so far.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Odd, maybe the disconnect of the usb drive caused a bad installation.

Do note, that in order to succesfuilly install the Daniel drivers, you must uninstall the WDM drivers windows installs by itself. So you need to go into the device manager, uninstall the WDM drivers, and not restart. then install the daniel drivers.

That should make it install correctly.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

sso

thank you saga, that sb card is about 10 years old now, maybe its time.

and thanks chip, yes that might make it work and that card has served me well, so ill give it a whack, always liked its clean sound.

thanks guys.

LPChip

oh, and my SB X-Fi elite platinum is also like 10 years old, probably longer as its older than your card I think, and it still serves me very well today. I'd hesitate what card to buy when this one breaks down.

Saga Musix

Dude, the X-Fi wasn't launched before 2005. Let's do some basic math: 2013-2005 = 8. So no, your card is not older than 10 years. The Audigy 4 is a lot older than the X-Fi, too.

LPChip

My concept of time seems different... :P

sso

hehehe ,

oh time, a year can seem like an age upon age..  (or go by faster than a speeding bullet..)

like indiana jones said, "its not the years, its the fucking milage."

i wasnt far off though, audigy 2 (which is what audigy4 value is really.) was released in 2003. so probably 2004.

maybe i should throw a birthday party for the little girl, she done good.

my last soundblaster. (had the original and adlib before it.)