Crashes with Windows sounds

Started by sso, July 09, 2013, 23:44:15

Previous topic - Next topic

sso

Ok, so far so good.

thanks man. preciate it.

oh, by the way, why is the exe 2mb larger?

Saga Musix

Because it's built with VS2010 instead of VS2008, and the version of MFC that ships with VS2010 adds a bluk of unnecessary stuff to the executable.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

ah.

oh btw, if you play a sample and change the frequency filter cutoff meanwhile, mpt freezes for a bit and the sound crashes till you press stop.

(its not a problem, just thought you might like to know.)

othervise seems stable as a stable. :)

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on July 17, 2013, 23:33:13
and the sound crashes till you press stop.
It does... what?
Changing the filter cutoff doesn't do anything that changing other controls doesn't do. Maybe it's the combination of pressing a note key while the silder is still focussed, which might make Windows play a "Ding" sound which leads to your previously mentioned problem of other apps interfering with OpenMPT?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

oh its probably that.

on a more depressing note, while at first it was fine, the next day when i opened the song again, it suddenly started sputting on the heavy parts, like it was running out of cpu (10%) or memory (4gb free)

even when i removed the more heavy vst´s.. (nothing added to the song apart from a few samples and notes.)

interestingly, sometimes when its stalling and sputtering, if i put the mouse over the taskbar, it stops stalling and sputters less.

it seems to have more trouble with the samples being played manually (16bit for the most part) than the vst´s.

this is a offline puter and after i tested the prog the puter was turned off and then this happens.

any ideas?

sso

weird.

im finding a file audiog.exe autorunning, whenever i stop it, the audio is fine.

audio graph,

cant delete it, need the permission of a Trusted Installer.

starts again in moments.. lol

heard of this?

guess im gonna need to get surgical.

any ideas to fix this btw?

sso

audiodg.exe...

nevermind, learned some new things about windows and got rid of it.

that was a sneaky bugger, apparently had lain dormant in my puter till now..

dunno what it came with, but sure made the sound buggy.

sso

sorry so many posts.

fucking awesome playing with this program now.

thanks guys. Brilliant work.

Edit, lol, im an idiot, audiodg.exe, is the soundsystem for windows.

now only mpt has sound lol

hmm, it still sputters when i have 100 vst´s going, but it works better than with the windows soundsystem.

which is a bummer, i use that puter for watching movies too.

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on July 20, 2013, 21:38:11
hmm, it still sputters when i have 100 vst´s going, but it works better than with the windows soundsystem.
You're crazy. That must be some really lightweight plugins that you even manage to run a hundred of them. With that many plugins, you may want to increase your latency setting, or simply use less plugins.

sso

oh it semi works, whats the dealio about the windows soundsystem slowing down mpt? (handle less vst´s.)

(oh i have to reinstall windows if i want movie sound lol.major surcical fuck up.)

Saga Musix

I don't know what you mean by "windows sound system". Do you mean one of the drivers in OpenMPT (WaveOut, DirectSound, ASIO, WASAPI)? Note that every driver model has a different minimum latency at which it works well; ASIO and WASAPI are designed for low-latency output; with DirectSound and especially WaveOut you need a latency that is a multitude higher than the one you can usually use with ASIO, simply because of how these APIs work.

sso

when i deleted that audiodg.exe file, the windows sound went with it. (124k file.)

i cant play anything but the asio in mpt.

interestingly however, with the windows sound gone, (the possibility of it anyway. never had anything else going.)

mpt performed quite a bit better.

however,might be just something wrong with my windows, been needing a reinstall for some time.

im not asking for a fix or anything, just curious what you thought about this, if anything.

sso

its weird though, when i do nothing, it more or less plays normal, just starts to stutter when i do something, play a note or whatever.

even when i added a instance of massive, it performed the same, no change.

LPChip

It seems to be a common problem. A search for audiodg.exe gives me other topics of people experiencing it with ways to fix it. Seems not to be OpenMPT's fault at all.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

sso