Crashes with Windows sounds

Started by sso, July 09, 2013, 23:44:15

Previous topic - Next topic

sso

saga,you dude are awesome.

btw, does anyone get that crash with the latest version, that if any synth is playing and i do something that makes windows ping,then mpt says its about to crash and saves a version of the song but then does nothing and keeps on like nothing happened?

occasionally it destabilizes though..

get that crash at least 3 times a day unless im careful about the ping, still the most awesome version of mpt ever though. :D great work guys.

Edit by moderator: Split from http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=5006.0

Saga Musix

No, but it would help if you could provide a crash dump (and not hijack other threads to post your own crash reports).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

oh sorry, thought you might mind, but im rather tired these days.

the mpt puter is still offline and its not really a big bug. (it never actually crashes.)

so im just gonna wait for a official release, ive been lucky so far on those. :) (just thought to check if it was a specific problem to me.)

Saga Musix

If you can reproduce the problem reliably, I doubt it would only affect you. And without crash dumps I can't really help you there and I doubt such a problem would go away all by itself...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

sso

damnit. :)

ill try to find the crash file and port it to this puter then.

thanks.

(its a weird problem though, might have to send a few crash´s, sometimes its samples that do it,sometimes its fm8..

, seems to be a conflict between perhaps the asio and the windows system.

not entirely sure, but that would indicate it might be a problem with my soundcard?didnt happen before the latest release though.)

sorry about the "wild posting spree", ill perhaps start a new thread when i bring the crash´s and you might perhaps put these questions there?

rather tired and been sick lately, so perhaps ill do it tomorrow or the next day. unless you insist on having it sooner, ill be online for a bit more.

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on July 11, 2013, 01:41:33
ill try to find the crash file and port it to this puter then.
If OpenMPT crashes, it should show you the folder containing the crash dump automatically (%TEMP%\OpenMPT Crash Files)

Quote(its a weird problem though, might have to send a few crash´s, sometimes its samples that do it,sometimes its fm8..
To me it sounds like it would crash whenever Windows would steal the audio device, which it shouldn't be able to do in the first place? Does your ASIO driver only work in exclusive mode (i.e. not allow other applications to output audio at the same time)?

sso

If OpenMPT crashes, it should show you the folder containing the crash dump automatically (%TEMP%\OpenMPT Crash Files)

Yes it does that. i think i have about 20 files allready. (i didnt want to bother you guys with this.)
been a long day though, getcha the files tomorrow, didnt crash today, though i was being careful. (so its not that bad really.)

To me it sounds like it would crash whenever Windows would steal the audio device, which it shouldn't be able to do in the first place? Does your ASIO driver only work in exclusive mode (i.e. not allow other applications to output audio at the same time)?

No idea, its a soundblaster audigy 4, never has done this before now though.

hmm, comes to mind, that ive been messing quite a bit with drivers (that problem i had earlier in the year.)

might have changed some settings, though for the life of me i cant remember any setting like that and my memory tends to be good.. any idea about that?

Saga Musix

Well, Creative drivers suck anyway, sooo...

sso

hehehe? reallly? done me fine for a decade, though its true im looking to upgrade.

this also happens when i start a movie while mpt is still running, the movie does not play sound and mpt crashes (without actually crashing) if i do anything but press the stop button.

where do i upload this crash file? dont have a file upload service.

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on July 13, 2013, 00:00:03
where do i upload this crash file? dont have a file upload service.
Not even NSA spywa.... I mean dropbox? The crash dumps generated by OpenMPT should be small enough so that you can attach them to a forum post after zipping them. Otherwise, there are enough free share hosters out there...

sso

cool. hey thanks pal.

oh, i was at it for hours yesterday, managing to avoid this bug,right till the end when it "crashed" without crashing. it does not really affect my work unless i accidentally do this. so no hurry on my account, lets hope this is just a bug specific to me. :)

edit :nah,never have any files to share over the internet, bar this.

Saga Musix

sso

wow,that was fast, brilliant, thanks pal.

ill get back to you tomorrow on it.

Saga Musix

Quote from: sso on July 15, 2013, 21:19:38that was fast
It's just a guess about something in the ASIO handler that has been changed recently. However, in that case, OpenMPT shouldn't crash but merely display a message that it might be unstable; did it?

sso

oh yes, like i  said, it never actually crashed.

(well, out of more than 20 times, one time it got so unstable that i had to restart, but only once.)

it just saved the file with a new 1 infront of it, saved me a crash dump, displayed the message that mpt might crash and then kept going.

im not at the relevant computer now, havent checked yet though, get back to ya tonight.