669 problems

Started by grzegorj, April 25, 2013, 21:53:57

Previous topic - Next topic

grzegorj

Hello to everyone,

This is my first post here, and I am really confused. This is my second trial to write here, the previous text disappeared when I was trying to post it. I am pretty sure that this forum engine is not perfect.

Moreover, in fact there is no place for bug reports here. I learnt that bugs should be reported at http://bugs.openmpt.org/ - but all I found there was a search engine. No possibility to start a new report. Even worse, I cannot have logged in. When I clicked "Signup for a new account", a message appeared and forced me to put my login and password. But I clicked there to signup, not to login! All this looked like a joke, really. As for me: waste of time and nerves. And unserious treating peoples. I do not know what is the aim of admins of the bug tracker. If that place lacks its basic functionality, what for is to write that people should write their bug reports there?

So, I am really sorry if I am reporting a bug in a wrong place but I really cannot find a better place.

The bug is:
When I try to load a *.669 file into OpenMPT 1.22.02.00, the program crashes. A crash report is in the attachment.

IMHO, even if OpenMPT did not support 669 modules, it should not crash.

The good old MPP can play 669 files but not always correctly. In the attachment there is an example of a 669 module that is not played correctly (among others, bad tempo starting from ca. 00:29). If you want to hear this module, you need Foobar2000 1.2.5 + Foo Dumb plugin (http://www.foobar2000.org/), or a very old program called Mod4Win (written for pre-95 versions of Windows but still working under XP). I do not known any other programs which could play this module well (no known WinAmp plugin, not even speaking of codecs for Windows Media Player).

This module must be very unique, and as such, very good for testing and for producing a really good program to edit or to play 669 files. However, I have tested all 669 files I have, and OpenMPT crashes on each of them loading.

I hope that my report will help in improving OpenMPT.

GJ

grzegorj

An example of a correctly played 669 module (in MPP; but still crashing OpenMPT)

Sorry, I wanted to send it with my previous post but this stupid forum engine blocked it without warning...

Saga Musix

Quote from: grzegorj on April 25, 2013, 21:53:57
I am pretty sure that this forum engine is not perfect.
Feel free to report any problems you are encountering at SimpleMachines, they may fix the bug if there really is one.

Quote from: grzegorj on April 25, 2013, 21:53:57Moreover, in fact there is no place for bug reports here. I learnt that bugs should be reported at http://bugs.openmpt.org/ - but all I found there was a search engine. No possibility to start a new report.
Clearly the 362 bugs in that database must have been filled in by ghosts.
Quote from: grzegorj on April 25, 2013, 21:53:57Moreover, in fact there is no place for bug reports here. I learnt that bugs should be Even worse, I cannot have logged in. When I clicked "Signup for a new account", a message appeared and forced me to put my login and password. But I clicked there to signup, not to login! All this looked like a joke, really.
I don't want to sound rude but you just failed to pass our spam bot protection. Read the login message and follow the instructions - that's all I can say. This is the most effective barrier to block spam bots, but apparently humans fail at it too - even though it's completely text-based and therefore even suitable for disabled people.

Quote from: grzegorj on April 25, 2013, 21:53:57And unserious treating peoples. I do not know what is the aim of admins of the bug tracker. If that place lacks its basic functionality, what for is to write that people should write their bug reports there?
I can't notice any unseriousness there. You were simply too quick and didn't read the login message. That's nothing I can fix.

Quote from: grzegorj on April 25, 2013, 21:53:57IMHO, even if OpenMPT did not support 669 modules, it should not crash.
Quite clearly it shouldn't crash - this horrible bug is not even specific to 669 files and accidentally slipped in shortly before the previous release. Here's a quick fix that should no longer crash. Another crash in the zip unpacker has also been found and fixed. Sorry for the inconvenience this may have caused. http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe

Quote from: grzegorj on April 25, 2013, 21:53:57The good old MPP can play 669 files but not always correctly. In the attachment there is an example of a 669 module that is not played correctly (among others, bad tempo starting from ca. 00:29). If you want to hear this module, you need Foobar2000 1.2.5 + Foo Dumb plugin (http://www.foobar2000.org/), or a very old program called Mod4Win (written for pre-95 versions of Windows but still working under XP). I do not known any other programs which could play this module well (no known WinAmp plugin, not even speaking of codecs for Windows Media Player).
The file sounds like it is played correctly in OpenMPT.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Techno.Jon

Quote from: Saga Musix on April 25, 2013, 22:25:43
I don't want to sound rude but you just failed to pass our spam bot protection. Read the login message and follow the instructions - that's all I can say. This is the most effective barrier to block spam bots, but apparently humans fail at it too - even though it's completely text-based and therefore even suitable for disabled people.

Bumping a little, but can't help it.  When I signed up for an account on the bug tracker page, it did give me the spambot protection, but the text in the middle was clipped with a "...".  I took a guess at what I had to do from the salvagable text, but it could pose problems for some if it clips more text.  I am using the latest Chrome.
"It's all fun and games until someone creates a thermonuclear toaster."

Saga Musix

Apparently Chrome is indeed having problems with this - fuck you, Google. I've shortened the message a bit so that it should no longer be truncated on Chrome.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.