"unsupported file type" error when loading ANY wav file

Started by moltres_rider, July 29, 2012, 01:09:24

Previous topic - Next topic

moltres_rider

something in Modplug is all of a sudden borked!!! every time I load ANY wav file into an instrument I get the following error: "Unsupported File Type"

this happens with ALL wav files and all Module formats and I seem to cannot find what is wrong!!!

jmkz

Can you provide a short WAV file?

PD: I used to get those errors when I'm not loading in the right way.

LPChip

Could be that somehow you're missing a codec. Did you recently changed something related to video/audio playback or encoding?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on July 29, 2012, 11:39:58
Could be that somehow you're missing a codec. Did you recently changed something related to video/audio playback or encoding?
OpenMPT doesn't rely on external codecs. All sample loaders are implemented in OpenMPT itself.

Other than that, OpenMPT loads all "normal" WAV files here as it always did (so your "ANY!!!!" argument is not valid). OpenMPT never was able to load compressed WAV files (such as MP3- or WMA-compressed WAVs), so naturally it will fail to load these.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

moltres_rider

if it IS  a compression issue, why is Audacity all of a sudden compressing wavs without my knowledge???

Saga Musix

How am I supposed to know, I'm not sitting in front of you computer and you're not exactly generous with providing information which could help us to help you.

Now that you mention that you are using Audacity, there is the possibility that Audacity locks files while they are open in that application; some audio editors do that and I wouldn't be surprised if Audacity did the same. So as a first thing to try, close the file in question in Audacity before opening it in OpenMPT.
It's also possible that you are exporting the file in an uncompressed format that OpenMPT doesn't know; you should verify that the file has two channels (stereo) at most, and its bit depth should be no higher than 32-Bits. Only PCM and Float type WAV files are supported.
If all of this doesn't help, upload a small (!) example file with which you can reliably reproduce the problem.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.