Some weird issue?

Started by Voltrom, June 08, 2012, 22:34:11

Previous topic - Next topic

Voltrom

I have my Modplug linked with Ni Maschine and am currently working on my new track.

Now I´m ready for the Break in the Track but when i`m inserting a Blank Pattern in Maschine after about one pattern length ModPlug makes some crazy noise and i recognized Modplug getting a bit slower but when the sound of Maschine comes back again everything sounds normal.

Weird? ???

Saga Musix

That doesn't sound like something caused OpenMPT itself. Does the noise also appear when directly exporting to WAV after creating the pattern, or does restarting playbacl help?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Voltrom

I tried exporting and there the noise was gone, it only happens when its playing,when i restart the pattern it happens too.

Must be some problem with the Maschine Vst. What do you think?

Saga Musix

I couldn't explain why OpenMPT would do this, so yeah, it's most probably a plugin issue - especially as you say that it happens when you insert a pattern in the plugin - OpenMPT does not care about what you do in plugins at all.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Voltrom

So, I´m back again and still my problem is getting bigger and bigger.

When i start playback ModPlug is playing back very slow and it is crackling over all, i`ve tried to contol my cpu and Memory usage cause i thought it might be because of this but i`m at 27%cpu and about 50% Memory usage.

I tried to get rid of some plugins for ex. (Maschine, dblue glitch and so on......) the problem is getting better then but still there is crackling here and there.

Maybe it is because of my soundcard (im working with an onboard Soundcard and with an Low Latency Asio driver from Steinberg.)

I tried much different drivers though, even Asio4all and it is not getting better.

The best playback Results that i have are with the standard Audio driver from my computer.

I own a Focusrite Saffire 6 Usb and tried it with that but i`ts the same problem there.

I have the feeling i tried almost everything messed around with the settings of modplug etc...... i`m not getting an idea of what`s going wrong here.

Would be cool if someone has some tips or maybe knows what i`m doing wrong or what settings i do have to change, i`m really at the end of the road. :(

Saga Musix

I had a similar issue with some old and bad plugins once, but only when OpenMPT's buffer length was very low (< 20ms or so). What's your buffer length and does the problem get better if you increase it?

Voltrom

the buffer length is 200ms, i experimented a lot with this section.

When nobody else has this problem it must be a soft- or hardware problem on my pc.

I will try to find it out and see if i can find a solution. I`m pretty sure it must be something with my Computer.

Is there any program that you know that can cause problems together with ModPlug? Maybe Antivirusprogram or something?

Till then........

Saga Musix

Gosh, 200ms is far too high, even for WaveOut/DirectX. :) Try 50ms or less, 10ms with ASIO is perfect.
I'm not aware of any software that might interfere with OpenMPT in this way. Back then when I got my first proper home recording soundcard, its ASIO drivers also didn't work too well, but after reinstalling Windows XP, everything suddenly worked perfectly. That's the old kind of hardware/software problem I ever got, and it certainly wasn't related to specific plugins, so I'm not sure if that would help. Can you maybe install those plugins on another PC or at least a virtual Windows installation and check if the issues persist?

LPChip

Ah, I've had this problem with NI plugins too. Basically what you're getting at, is that one of your CPU cores is maxed out and it stutters because you're reaching the limit. This doesn't actually has to be NI's fault. Its the sum of all plugins used.

I remember that NI has its own CPU detection that'll cause notes to drop if it gets near the limit. This was with NI Battery though. And if thats the case with NI Maschine, then your problem isn't actually NI but one of your other plugins. I had this problem specifically with a reverb plugin. If I set a long tail and I use a lot of them, I can still now on my very powerfull rig, make the sound crack.

Of course, this doesn't happen at wave out, because when the CPU can't handle, it'll just wait with the wave out export until it has been dealt with.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on July 11, 2012, 07:12:05
Ah, I've had this problem with NI plugins too. Basically what you're getting at, is that one of your CPU cores is maxed out and it stutters because you're reaching the limit. This doesn't actually has to be NI's fault. Its the sum of all plugins used.

That would make sense if the 27% CPU load he's talking about is the sum of all CPU cores on a quad core. Keruba, can you confirm that the CPU load you measured comes from only CPU core and that this core is maxed out at 100% load?

Voltrom

Quote from: Saga Musix on July 11, 2012, 11:06:51

That would make sense if the 27% CPU load he's talking about is the sum of all CPU cores on a quad core. Keruba, can you confirm that the CPU load you measured comes from only CPU core and that this core is maxed out at 100% load?

I have a Dual-core 2.4 Ghz Cpu, I can`t really make it out, tried it with two different gadgets to meter the cpu and everyone shows it different, at least i can say that one core is sometimes hopping in about 90-100%, the thing is i use a lot of Native Instruments plugins,

Absynth, Kore Player fx, Maschine

and i can`t say which plugin is the problem. When i remove all the Ni plugins everything runs smoothly.

I tried the Demo of Renoise and there i had no probs. inserted so many Ni plugins that the Cpu was at about 80% dual and everything was okay and the sound was allright.

But, i don`t wanna use Renoise (not because of the money since it`s only 50 bucks) i simply don`t like the gui.

Saga Musix

Are you using the latest versions of those plugins? I know that many people reported issues with NI plugins years ago, but when I tried the latest Kontakt demo last year, I couldn't verify any of these issues to be still existent.

Voltrom

Okay, now i know what it is, it is the Kore Player.

I have a few instances in my project with the Kore Player as Efx inside and that caused the problem.

I`ll see if theres a update available, in the meantime be warned using Kore Player and OpenMpt.

Saga Musix

Quote from: Keruba on July 13, 2012, 18:48:33
in the meantime be warned using Kore Player and OpenMpt.
I guess that warning is useless as I see that Kore Player hasn't been updated since 2008 and is no more available for download (unless you have already bought it). I think we still had many issues with NI plugins in 2008, but their latest plugins shouldn't have any issues. As said, I have tested Kontakt 5 in 2011 and it had no problems at all. In 2008, this looked a bit different...