1.17.02.52 Unloading plugins from memory can cause a crash

Started by LPChip, September 08, 2008, 19:34:31

Previous topic - Next topic

LPChip

Full Version:
OpenMPT v1.17.02.52

Has the bug occured in previous versions? If yes, please specify version(s): (This option is optional, and doesn't need research. But in case you know...)
Yes. Tested .52, .48, .27, all have this bug.

Description of the bug:
I have some songs with Xlutop Chainer and some VST's in it. If I close the song, MPT vanishes, and I see my desktop. Together with Relabs, I did alot of extensive testing, and it appears that something goes wrong at unloading the plugins. I went to the general tab, and set all plugins to none. At the last plugin, mpt crashed.

How often does it happen?:
On some songs, it always happen.

How to reproduce (step by step description):
I made a testcase and sent it to relabs.

Note to relabs: this is not related to the bug about the MRU list, but that bug also exists, cus I remember that I even had the same crash with a song that didn't had plugins.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

bvanoudtshoorn

Hmm, I've found that this also seems to happen when Chainer is set to bypass in different ways. At least, I think so. It seems that when I allow the track to end "naturally" (play to the end), it quits quite happily, without crashing. But if I stop the track midway, or just close it, it'll 9 out of 10 times die.

LPChip

Quote from: "bvanoudtshoorn"Hmm, I've found that this also seems to happen when Chainer is set to bypass in different ways. At least, I think so. It seems that when I allow the track to end "naturally" (play to the end), it quits quite happily, without crashing. But if I stop the track midway, or just close it, it'll 9 out of 10 times die.

I can load a song, then immediatelly after close it, and mpt is gone.

Additional note which Relabs knows already, but is worth a mention: If you make changes to such song, and then press close, MPT asks if you wants to save the changes. If you say yes, mpt closes, but the changes were saved.

Also, it doesn't always happen. With that I mean: I have songs that use xlutop chainer that do close normally.

In fact, In my testcase I did the following to reproduce:

Made an empty song and added the following plugins in that order, in which after each add, I saved and closed.

15x xlutop (empty)

Then randomly chosen one of the 15 xlutops and added the following plugs:

2x electri-q
2x mda stereo
1x G-Amp Classic <- crash.

So I thought, gotcha. Made a new song with 1x xlutop, 1x mda stereo and 1x G-Amp Classic, no problem there.

It might very well be that xlutop itself crashes causing mpt to crash.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

What's up with this old report? If you still experience crashes with xlutop, I'd like to have a more precise bug report with a crash dump, else I can't do anything about this.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

close it. I don't remember the last crash I had with xlutop described as this. Then again, I also switched to mptm now, could be the case too

Saga Musix

Plugin processing doesn't differ between IT and MPTM tracks. If you have any further problems with Xlutop, just open a new ticket in the issue tracker.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: Jojo on March 24, 2012, 17:26:41
Plugin processing doesn't differ between IT and MPTM tracks. If you have any further problems with Xlutop, just open a new ticket in the issue tracker.

Will do.