rows per beat

Started by renegadekillerkitteh, January 10, 2012, 20:51:01

Previous topic - Next topic

renegadekillerkitteh

ok, i have had a look and i couldnt find anything, im brand new to using OpenMPT so i dont know how to work it yet... but i recently got hold of a sample i wish to use, but the beat wont fit with the tempo. i eventually found out you can change the rows per beat but the option is grayed and i cant seem to find a way to change it... help anyone?

LPChip

I recommend doing the tutorial first.

http://openmpt.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/TutMakeSong/

That should answer your questions. Are you btw using the MOD format? Thats the only thing I can think of that disables this.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Better use a more up to date version of this tutorial, temporarily available here.

The rows per beat shouldn't be touched for adjusting loops. They just tell you how many rows represent one beat, and that is typicall 4 or 8 rows. You will hardly ever use other values.
There are two obvious choices left: Increade / Decrease the sample's speed in the sample editor by adjusting it's playback frequency, or increase or decrease the tempo (BPM) of your track. Time stretching is not really advisable as it will definitely kill a looped sample.

QuoteAre you btw using the MOD format? Thats the only thing I can think of that disables this.
He most likely found the rows per beat setting in the pattern properties, which is only available in the MPTM format. And you forgot about the S3M format, which also doesn't have a rows per beat setting.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

renegadekillerkitteh

ok thanks for the help so far, but i want to keep the tempo as it is, the tempo of the sample is the speed i want it at 140 bpm, ive tried adding a simple 1 kick per beat into it but with a 4 row per beat its either too fast or too slow for the bpm of the sample im using, if i could set it to 6 rows per beat then it might be able to fix the problem, but i cant change that at all #.<;

Saga Musix

Then do as said and set the song tempo to 140bpm.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

renegadekillerkitteh

ive tried changing the tempo but the tempo switch is empty/locked out, and ive ready through the manuals, its all confusing but i did my best, but its still stuck at 125 bpm, sorry if i suck and am annoying Dx

LPChip

Can you provide a screenshot and upload the song in which you have this problem?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

It sounds like you're working with the ProTracker .MOD format. Is that really necessary to you? If not, you should use something more modern, f.e. ImpulseTracker IT or OpenMPT MPTM. You can convert the song format in the Song Properties.

renegadekillerkitteh

im using the IT one, and yes it is necessary, the main sample is 140 bpm, there is no song yet because i cannot even start making it until i change the settings to make OpenMPT play at 140 bpm, i know there's a way to change it or it wouldnt let me see what it plays at and there wouldnt be a tempo switch, all im asking is if someone knows how to change it from 125 bpm to 140 bpm i would be grateful. im using Open MPT 1.19.04.00 and im using the IT module file, i dont want to have to read through a tutorial with a ton of things i dont need yet, i just need a simple "click this, change this" answer if possible.

LPChip

General tab, set speed to 6 ticks, and tempo to 140. If its not accurate enough, change to modern tempo setting by clicking song properties.

Yet again, if that isn't working, please provide a screenshot of what you see.

renegadekillerkitteh

WOW I FEEL LIKE SUCH AN IDIOT HAHAHAHA XDDDDD it wa slike, right there, i use the samples and pattern tabs so much i almost never use the general tab xDD thanks you :3