Question about MIDI

Started by VoltureX, November 21, 2011, 23:56:17

Previous topic - Next topic

VoltureX

Is it possible to get my USB keyboard instruments through OpenMPT?

When I select MIDI Record and Record I only get it to find fx. 1st instrument in the sample list.

I want my instruments from the keyboard to be active in OpenMPT.

Thanks.

Volt.

LPChip

This is not possible through OpenMPT without doing something extra.

You'll be needing a VSTi that can send midi data towards your keyboard. An example would be Tobybear's VST2MIDI.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

The first question to ask would be "why and how should your computer know how many built-in instruments your MIDI keyboard has?"
But as LPChip suggests, you need MIDI Output in order to send MIDI events to your keyboards. There is a short explanation on how to use VST2MID in the WIP Manual.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

VoltureX

Thanks for replies.

Another question. What is a good way to record a MIDI instrument from my keyboard to a WAV file?

Thanks.

Volt.

Saga Musix

Probably by using a wave editor. For example Waveosaur or Audacity. Both are free.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

You'd want to hook the keyboard up to your computer from your keyboard's line-out or phones out to your computer line-in port. Then you can use a wave editor, press record there and then play a note on your keyboard.

As Jojo points out, Waveosaur and Audacity are 2 free programs you can use for this.

You might need to configure them to set the line-in as recording device.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

VoltureX

Thanks for your replies. I will try one of those programs.

Volt.