64-bit Version

Started by Really Weird Person, March 12, 2010, 01:43:53

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

I have some good news! I would like to work on a Modplug project myself! It will essentially be a 64-bit version of the program. I have put some ideas in a Word document that can be downloaded from here. Unfortunately:

1. I currently do not have nearly enough programming knowledge to do such a project.
2. I am concerned about having enough time and becoming too frustrated and/or bored and therefore not completing the project.
3. I do not believe that Visual Studio allows me to create 64-bit applications.

In addition to those, I am thinking that I may want to wait until I upgrade my computer because I am not sure if my current one would be able to handle the full extent of the project.

I would likely use the latest version of Visual Studio (currently 2010) and am considering coding it in C# because I have not used that language before and am curious how it compares to C++. I think that C# may also be more flexible than C++, but I could be wrong. Perhaps someone here has used C# before and could give some pros and cons to it over other languages. Let me guess, you have, Daffy. OK, bet's hear your suggestion.* :lol:

* In case you did not understand that joke, it is a play off when Daffy Duck tells Bugs Bunny (referenced as "Coach" by Daffy) that he has played basketball before in the movie Space Jam.

Saga Musix

1. I currently do not have nearly enough programming knowledge to do such a project.
Cool, do you have some coder slaves in your basement then? If that is the case, I also have an idea or ten to share!

Quote3. I do not believe that Visual Studio allows me to create 64-bit applications.
You can also do that, but... and now comes the important part... certainly not from the MPT code. What you have uttered here is still a quite futuristic wish at the moment.

QuoteI would likely use the latest version of Visual Studio (currently 2010) and am considering coding it in C#
Ok, so your coder slaves are going to code a completly new project and are not working on MPT64, sorry, I misunderstood that.

With irony mode disabled, I can only say that this post is complete nonsense. You already admit that you don't have the knowledge to work on such a project, though you want it to become reality. Sorry, but the dream2code converter does not exist yet.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

Answers:
1. No you don't but try learning and you'll understand more and more of the code.
2.I'm sure you do, just try and work on the code and you'll find out that you have enough time.
3.It does.

And for the 64bits edition, why make a new program when you can instead just make a new branch for the 64bits code on the existing code.

And if your program can run VS2010 I'm sure your program is capable of your project.

c++ is for speed and can be ported to other OS. And you don't need to recode all the old code.
^^

Really Weird Person

Quote from: "Jojo"Cool, do you have some coder slaves in your basement then? If that is the case, I also have an idea or ten to share!

I do not have any "coder slaves" that I am aware of, and per Rakib's mention of C++'s compatibility with other devices, perhaps I may be better off using it rather than C#.

Quote from: "Jojo"What you have uttered here is still a quite futuristic wish at the moment.

That almost sounds like you are thinking that I want you to make it. That is not the case (unless you want to, though I highly doubt that).

Quote from: "Jojo"You already admit that you don't have the knowledge to work on such a project, though you want it to become reality.

Indeed and indeed

Quote from: "Jojo"Sorry, but the dream2code converter does not exist yet.

Perhaps that will be your next project after Modplug Tracker! :lol:

Quote from: "Rakib"2.I'm sure you do, just try and work on the code and you'll find out that you have enough time.

Do you think so? Maybe if I was to code the project, it would not seem as intimidating as it is now when I have all of the code in front of my face! :lol: Thanks for the encouragement.

Quote from: "Rakib"3.It does.

That is probably what that combo box is for.

Quote from: "Rakib"And if your program can run VS2010 I'm sure your program is capable of your project.

If I code the project from "scratch," it would because I would probably use Visual Studio 2010 (or whatever the latest version is, as I did also mention possibly waiting until I got a "beefier" computer). If you are referring to the current project, I am not sure if it would build in Visual Studio 2010 or not, as I do not currently have that version installed.

Quote from: "Rakib"c++ is for speed and can be ported to other OS.

That is a good point. I do not believe that C# is portable to other devices (such as phones perhaps, although I doubt that there are currently any phones capable of running Modplug Tracker) In addition to this, I believe that I read somewhere (though I do not remember where) that C# is what Windows is coded in, so that could cause more harm than good in the sense that I would be building the project from scratch, literally. That would most definitely not be fun at all!

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"

That is probably what that combo box is for.
That is simply a compiler configuration. You could also call it "wtf is this" or whatever, that is totally up to you. There's only a win32 configuration because other configurations obviously have not been set up (and would be quite useless anyway).

QuoteI believe that I read somewhere (though I do not remember where) that C# is what Windows is coded in
That would be
1) quite silly
2) a quite silly reason for coding MPT in that language.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

Quote from: "Jojo"That would be
1) quite silly
2) a quite silly reason for coding MPT in that language.

1. Perhaps I read whatever it was wrong then. It was a long time ago that I read it, so perhaps I read it wrong.
2. That is part of the reason why I would avoid it. If Windows is indeed coded in C#, then I would possibly have to go from literal scratch, meaning making everything (including the title bar, position of buttons (e.g. the three in the upper right-hand corner), but perhaps I would not have to "make" those as well. I have no idea, as I have never used that language before (though I have used C++ a tad bit, but it was to modify the already existing Modplug Tracker code, not to make it from the beginning).

Saga Musix

A good advise: Probably you should read up facts before talking about things you might, or might not know. You know, that's like if I was going to post something like "OpenMPT 1.19 will be releases tomorrow, or maybe not." or "Thanks for the report, this is indeed a bug or maybe it's a feature". I could as well stop posting at all then.

Even if Windows was coded in Turbo Pascal, that wouldn't mean that you would have to have to code "everything" including ever single GUI element "from scratch" - if that was the case, there would be no need for operating systems.

Fernozzle

Windows Vista and onward are largely written in C#.

But that's still not much of a reason to use it.

Saga Musix

I am pretty much sure that large parts of the Operating System (such as the Kernel and everything low-level) are still written in C++, C or maybe even Assembler. Various applications that are shipped with Windows use .Net of course, but one could argue about whether that is part of the Operating System itself or not.