Autosave works to well?

Started by Rakib, July 29, 2011, 21:53:58

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Autosave is a lifesaver, its great to have and can save you a lot of frustration if modplug crashes while working on a song if you forgot to save. But Im not sure if it a bug or its just that modplug has crashed so many times that it forgot how many savefiles it should have.

I have a folder with two file/songs that I am currently working on, I forgot to save while working on one of these two songs. Going back to the folder just to discover that it contained 153 files, two of them is the songs Im working on, the rest is autosave files. Is this because of modplug crashing to often or a bug?
^^

Saga Musix

I've set OpenMPT to keep up to 5 backups, and it does that for me. Have you resumed working from one of the backups and forgot to rename the file probably? Or have you renamed your work files?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

No I have the standard 3 copies, saving every 10 min. And no for your question. But Im just guessing that modplug crashed at sometime and then started on saving 3 new autosaves, disregarding the older autosaves.
^^

Rakib

Since Im working on a remix, I had to get the notes. I downloaded the celemony melodyne trial and I must say it is crazy unstable in modplug. Anyone else have problem with this plugin?
^^

Saga Musix

The autosaver does not keep track of the number of backups. It simply finds all files that match the autosave name pattern (songname.autosave.date.time.ext) and then removes those with the oldest date. So it's not really possible that old backups are kept, unless the base filename was changed.

Edit: Concerning the plugin, how unstable is it? Does it crash during certain actions? Does it crash randomly or behave unexpectedly?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Rakib

I'll give you a screenshot if this happens again. Have deleted all the files. It took 2GB.
^^

Christofori

I've found an interesting/odd thing about the 'timing' of AutoSave.   It's probably intended -- just didn't think it'd work quite this way till I noticed it happen...

So I'd be working in my main file (quite large [it's > 250MB] and though a very recent upgrade on my system has considerably helped my load/save times, it still does take a few seconds to save or load -- during which the screen [set to follow playback] pauses if the song's autosaved while playing back... [gasp for air.. lol]) and, all that said (lol again), I tend to save it once I'm sure the compositional change I've made is good, and whatnot.  Thus it won't autosave as it's just been saved.  No issue yet!  That's all just background.. ;)

Now then.. I will at times play the song allowing it to loop for a while; during which I'm listening to the balance, blend, mixing, etc -- sometimes stopping it to tweak a setting here or there, but often times letting it play for several minutes (during which time I check forums, etc).  Now IF the amount of time I listen to the track exceeds the autosave time, then the next time I make a change almost immediately thereafter the autosave saves a copy.. rather than making an autosave at 10 minutes after (for example) I make the change.  I'm wondering if this is because the 'record' button is usually left ON in my case...  I certainly don't have to, just tend to do so as I usually forget to toggle it. :P

Anyway, all that boils down to this:  does the record button play a factor in the autosave timer's functionality?
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

Autosave will not happen if you didn't change anything in the module, so it's no wonder that autosave is not executed if you didn't touch the tracker for a few minutes.

Christofori

The point I was reaching for was if nothing's touched AND time goes by, then that time is counted towards the 'do I need to autosave?' flag.  IMO it should only be flagged once a change is actually made -- THEN the time begins to count. ;)
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

Rakib

Quote from: Jojo on July 29, 2011, 23:10:09
Edit: Concerning the plugin, how unstable is it? Does it crash during certain actions? Does it crash randomly or behave unexpectedly?
You get to record notes, but doing anything from there crashes modplug. It works with other hosts.

But ontopic. It doesnt stop autosaving.

^^

LPChip

Looking at that screenshot, I notice that the autosave files all have .mptm.mptm while the original file only has .mptm. I think the problem is related to this, although I have no scientific grounds on which this is based. (please don't shoot me Jojo :P)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Christofori

Jojo's teh viscious!  VI-SHus I says! lol
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

Quote from: LPChip on August 02, 2011, 14:50:45
Looking at that screenshot, I notice that the autosave files all have .mptm.mptm while the original file only has .mptm. I think the problem is related to this, although I have no scientific grounds on which this is based. (please don't shoot me Jojo :P)
If you look closely at the screenshot you will see that he has disabled to show known extensions, so the original file must be called "houstry 1.mptm.mptm" indeed.

Rakib, does OpenMPT crash during autosave? Autosave entries are only cleaned after a successful autosave, so if OpenMPT crashes while saving, it will never get to remove any autosaved files.

Rakib

^^

Rakib

But Ive changed the filename no, so no .mptm.mptm anymore. But on holiday so have wait to see if that has any effect.
^^