Help on midi/Can't get a vsti to work

Started by Rakib, February 22, 2011, 12:30:27

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

There is a new vst arpeggio kalled kirnu I can't figure out how to work.
It can be downloaded from here:
http://www.kirnuarp.com/
An example video can be found here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7reh9eSNKpo

If any one can figure out how to make it work on modplug, please explain it to me.
^^

Saga Musix

OpenMPT does not support MIDI routing currently, so it's no wonder that this plugin cannot be used to send arpeggios to other plugins.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

Yep, in theory that is. :)

But extreme artist are usually defying basic logic, and always find a simple way to overcome the host tracker shortages...with another host involved in this case.

energyXT for instance is a host that you can use for modular midi/audio routing (it has a shareware version, so dont worry about the cost). Everything will be done inside of it, it would only pick up the midi (note) data from OMPT and send the final arped audio signal back.

-Download energyXT and put the energyXT2 VSTi.dll to your vsti folder.
-load it up to OMPT and put it to an instrument slot
-now open the GUI and setup your vsti folder in it (plugins submenu on the left)
-ok, now load up your inside the energyXT's GUI the kirnu arp, and your desired VSTi that you wanted to arp.
-now set the routing from midi in, all the way to audio out, something like this:

(green is the midi signal, and that blue/purple-ish is the audio, but i think it should be self explanatory from here)
-There you go, modular midi/audio routing "in OMPT". Arp your arse out :D
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Rakib

Thanks, it worked. But one thing remains it that if you close the energyxt windows and open it again it will be a empty vst screen.

^^

psishock

Well, perhaps it's OMPT's unstable VST support to blame for this (if i remember right, Nahkranoth had some troubles with this host too). But energyXT is only one of your many options. Google up any host with advanced routing features, that you can load up as a vsti and you're good to go. Maybe you can bump onto completely freeware ones.

Any of them would work with the exact same principle.

Saga Musix

The last time I checked their website I didn't even find the VST version of energyXT so I couldn't fix anything, either... Can anyone give me a hint where to find the actual plugin download?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

They are asking for email signup for regular downloads, but i couldn't bothered with that, instead i've checked their public beta page. There you can find every version with a direct download link.
http://www.energy-xt.com/index.php?id=0108

Rakib

^^

psishock

Rakib, if you exit from ompt, then reload your song, the GUI will work again, until you close it again of course.

Note that the only limitation of their free version, that you cannot save your project, meaning that you would have to do the rerouting anyway, after each song opening.

But i think that is an acceptable handicap, having in mind that every other feature is fully functional, and you got the ~60eur host for free.

A small helpful workaround for this, that you simply not close the energyXT GUI window while working on your song, but move it offscreeen, then drag it back when you need to change stuff in it again.

LPChip

It also comes with Computer Music ;)

You can find it on the DVD too.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

^^

LPChip

Its the EnergyXT CM version, which, as far as I can tell is the full version. I am not entirely sure, because I bought EnergyXT before getting a CM subscription.

EDIT: okay, its not exactly the full version. See: http://energyxt2.wikidot.com/feature-comparison

And apparently, it doesn't come with a VST(i) version either. :(
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

QuoteEnergyXT CM version, as far as I can tell is the full version.
Nope.
At least not entirely, you have quite some limitation on the CM version too. Particularly the lack of "XT2 VST Versions" support may be a deal-breaker for him.
http://energyxt2.wikidot.com/feature-comparison

Imho, his better off with the demo version. At least that is a truly fully functional version, except the saving option.

edit:
oh, an idea! He can simply save all the routing and the midi cc setup on the CM standalone version, then load the project up to the demo VST version in ompt. That can work out really well. :D

You will need to use the standalone again for further changes, but hey, at least it will work and everything would be saved.

Saga Musix

Rakib

^^