This horse wont die - wxWidgets / MFC info

Started by doveraudio, February 22, 2011, 16:59:05

Previous topic - Next topic

doveraudio

Just figured i'd share some interesting links. Apparently the cross platform toolkit wxWidgets plays nice with mfc, with the right adjustments, and provides a path to conversion to other guis. I've been reading various docs on wxwidgets and i'm hoping that some of the actual developers might find this useful, for the future of openmpt...

here's some linkage

http://wiki.wxwidgets.org/WxWidgets_For_MFC_Programmers

http://www.codeproject.com/KB/library/wxwidgets.aspx

i wish i had more time to study and practice coding, lol.

Rakib

I think Jojo was thinking about using Qt instead, the documentation is much better and there is a commercial company behind it. Though it will be interesting to see what happens to Qt now that Nokia is jumping on Windows Phone.

But in overall I think this will be a huge job to make modplug a cross platform software.
^^

Saga Musix

I don't think that there would be a big impact even if Nokia left Qt alone completely, since it is the base f.e. for the KDE desktop environment, so there are many people from the open source community who are actually eager to continue developing Qt. That's nothing we should care about right now.
Of course there are also guides on how to migrate from MFC to Qt, and how to use both at the same time, so this is not much of a problem either. Getting started and doing the actual conversion is...
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

doveraudio

The main point to consider is that the process of conversion can be eased by the fact that wxwidgets and MFC can be present in the same codebase, and some of the conversion is as simple as find...replace (apparently from the text i linked to). Another benefit is that wxWidgets features bindings to Qt, which further eases the pain of cross-platforming to qt.

maybe.

?   :o

Saga Musix

QuoteThe main point to consider is that the process of conversion can be eased by the fact that wxwidgets and MFC can be present in the same codebase
That's no problem with Qt, either.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.