Sample loop slicer

Started by oxxi, February 19, 2010, 07:55:31

Previous topic - Next topic

oxxi

I would like modplug to have the ability to slice loops/samples with cursors, and then once you have your slices, you click a button and it makes new instruments/samples for each slice.

////

oxxi

So what do you guys think bout this request? Would it be difficult to implement this in to modplug?
////

Saga Musix

I have been working on something that sounds rather similar to this request; A sample "grid" which only allows equally-sized sample selections (i.e. if the grid size is n, every sample selection is a multiple of 1/nth of the sample size). I think this is useful for creating equally-sized slices - if they're not supposed to be equally-sized, I usually shift+click the "new" button and trim parts of the sample.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

oxxi

That's very cool. Im glad to hear that you've been working on this.  :)  Would the grid be able to work with long recordings? For example to, disable/enable the grid when you have to pick slices at different parts of the waveform.
////

Saga Musix

I'm not sure what the difference between a long and a short sample would be here... You can also enable/disable it at any time and the original selection will be kept until you make a new selection (where the new grid size will be taken into account).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

I could make use of this feature (and i'm sure ToB can as well), but what would be better is the use of markers to slice beatloops (a la Audacity).

Pizearke

I understand this is a two year bump, but I just want to say I haven't programmed in a few years and I kind of want to try to implement this feature to try to get back into it, as I would use the crap out of it.

Saga Musix

djkurzman

That would be a feature that I, also, would use the crap out of. There are a few other apps that do this and you can always make sample clones and trim each one, but to have an actual beat slicer in MPT would be a treat!

Saga Musix

Oops, I forgot to mention this here... In OpenMPT 1.25.02.00 you can actually slice samples at their cue points.
The only problems right now are that there  are only 9 cue points (but I guess it's a start) and that the cue points are not actually visible in the editor. This will be fixed hopefully soon, though.

Exhale

I have been thinking hard about this, and enjoying-ish the system available in modplug lately, just thinking it would be nice if it could stay as a full / singular waveform and simply play from the cue points on a sequential semitone rise of notes (holding a decided note), say from c4 ; c#4,d4,d#4,e4...etc depending on how many parts the separations make, this way there wouldnt be repeated data if you want to still keep a loop and play the whole loop without hitting each individual note along the way...
Just a thought, and it might even be easier than creating new samples for each slice.