Increase Memory

Started by Really Weird Person, December 05, 2010, 23:49:33

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

I would like to increase Modplug Tracker's memory. How would I do this? I am thinking that increasing Windows' virtual memory will not help (especially since I think that it is typically four times the system RAM which makes it forty-eight gigabytes for my desktop (where I do most of my music editing) and sixteen gigabytes for my tablet PC (where I do the coding)).

Rakib

It's up to the OS to decide how much virtual memory it needs (if you select it to choose it automatically), and how much memory it is willing to give modplug.
^^

Really Weird Person

Is it not hard coded in then? I thought that it was. Hmmm—Maybe increasing the virtual memory will help then.
The reason that I want to do this is because there are some songs that I would like to make, but they are quite long. Some of them are more than one million patterns long. I currently have a song that is 295,457 patterns long playing, but there are some other songs that I would like to play, but I cannot create them because Modplug Tracker runs out of memory.
I suppose that another possibility is that it is limited by the fact that it is a 32-bit application and not a 64-bit application.

Rakib

Probrably, since it is 32bit I think its only allowed to use 2GB of memory. BUt I think you can get 4GB if you go to boot.ini and switch on /largeadressaware.
^^

Really Weird Person

I suspect boot.ini is in the system or system32 directory, but I could be wrong.

Really Weird Person

I am guessing that you are running Windows XP, not Windows Vista or Windows 7. In those operating systems, a command called bcdedit is used. The command appears to be bcdedit /set increaseuserva x (where x can be 1,024, 2,048, 3072, or 4,096).

Really Weird Person

I increased the usable memory allocation for applications perhaps four or five times, but that did not seem to help. I am guessing that the x in the previous message can be any amount (except for negative numbers perhaps), but perhaps only three or four gigabytes may be used. I tried sixteen gigabytes (16,384 megabytes) just to see what would happen. As for as I know, when I tried to make a song, Modplug Tracker would run out of memory in the three hundred thousands even after these changes (the song is 1,007,760 patterns long.)

Really Weird Person

I am still unsure what to do about the memory issue, but I did manage to make Modplug Tracker squeeze out a song that is 1,033,920 patterns long. My latest goal is to make a song that contains at least Daisy (1,852,083) patterns. I have tried a couple of songs (one containing 1,896,350 patterns and the other containing 4,031,040 patterns), but I could not complete either of them. Modplug Tracker ran out of memory in both cases. Because of this, making a song that contains either pattern Peach (7,400,258) or pattern weird (10,604,884) would not work.

Saga Musix

You have been warned before. We do not give any help on extending OpenMPT beyond its own limits and it is very well known that the source code can't handle that many patterns, and you have been told several times before. Can you please just keep this stuff private?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.