Crash while using lots of ctrl+C/ctrl+V/ctrl+X

Started by phanoo, October 29, 2010, 07:26:22

Previous topic - Next topic

phanoo

I don't know exactly how to reproduce this bug, but when I use a lot of copy-paste-cut actions on entire patterns and selection, sometimes it may crash... yesterday I lost 3/4h of work when I had the bad idea to press ctrl+X to cut a selection. (I often save my work but when i'm inspirated I don't think about anything but music  ;D)

Maybe something like a buffer problem ?
This problem does not often occurs but it's quite annoying : openMPT freezes, then Windows suggest to terminate it. I have the VC++ real time debugger to see the error in ASM, i don't know if its could help but the next time I will do a print screen...

Saga Musix

Let me fix that sentence for you.
Quote from: phanoo on October 29, 2010, 07:26:22
yesterday I lost 3/4h of work when I had the bad idea to not enable autosave and auto-backup.

QuoteI have the VC++ real time debugger to see the error in ASM, i don't know if its could help but the next time I will do a print screen...
Sadly, debugging the release .exe is pretty pointless since all the symbols like variable / function names are stripped. If you can reproduce it, I could send you a version with debug information.

What version of OpenMPT are you using? Also, do you use any fancy c&p mechanisms like overflow paste or paste flood?
I don't think that there were any changes to that code recently and I didn't experience any problems even during longer sessions.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

phanoo

hello

I use OpenMPT 1.18.02.00 (development build)

I do nothing strange with the copy/paste functions... I may do some tests to try to reproduce the bug...

Ok for the autosave... I've desactivated it because I often work on big songs that takes several seconds to save (40Mb, 200 samples...). But I prefer to wait instead of loose the precious notes ^^

Harbinger

If i may, i also hated autosave when i had a very slow computer and not a lot of RAM. I would suggest that you use Autosave, but tweak the time to something like every ten or fifteen minutes. For me, i use every 6 minutes, only because i never even know the autosave is saving. Besides, you need a break every 15 mins to gather your thoughts about how to best develop your inspiration. That method of your composing i understand completely... ;)

Saga Musix

Quote from: phanoo on October 29, 2010, 13:06:14
I use OpenMPT 1.18.02.00 (development build)
Well, that has already been superseded by OpenMPT 1.18.03.00 in August, which fixed a few crashes here and there, not related to c&p I think, but your problem might just as well be related to something completely different and it was just bad luck that it happened while pasting.

Quote from: phanoo on October 29, 2010, 13:06:14
I've desactivated it because I often work on big songs that takes several seconds to save (40Mb, 200 samples...).
It might be worth buying a small SSD for current projects in that case.
I don't have one but I have autosave set to save every minute. I don't really notice that even with my bigger tracks (10-30mb), as Windows' cache is doing a rather good job in this case.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

In regard to crashes, I too have issues with the program occasionally crashing. This generally happens I am working on a song and leave the program idling for a certain amount of time. This is why I try to remember to have a pattern playing when I am not working on the song.

Saga Musix

Noone seems to be able to confirm these crashes and this bug is about a really old version, so I'll close this one. Open a new issue on the issue tracker if similar problems reoccur.