1.19.00.09 Pattern play/record misbehaviour

Started by vicktech, October 21, 2010, 17:06:16

Previous topic - Next topic

vicktech

Full Version:
OpenMPT 1.19.00.09 (development build)
Build Date: Oct 16 2010 02:25:22

Description of the bug:
No sound when play is on, rec is off, and instrument chosen.
Sound appears if one note set to the pattern.
Then when rec is off - no matter what key you press it gives you the same note.
When play pattern is on and rec is off - responses to keyboard notes are correct.
(may be something's wrong with channel allocation)

How often does it happen?:
Constantly

How to reproduce (step by step description):
Load module into tracker, chose instrument, play the song and try to accompany from keyboard.

Saga Musix

I can't reproduce this unless I disable "play new notes while recording", which is a pretty pointless way to reproduce it of course.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vicktech

Saga Musix

Maybe I just don't understand the bug report. Is this something that something that also happened in previous stable versions (1.18.03.00 f.e.)?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vicktech

Quote from: "Jojo"Maybe I just don't understand the bug report. Is this something that something that also happened in previous stable versions (1.18.03.00 f.e.)?
I don't know. I didn't use them to compose.

Saga Musix

That is not the point. If the behaviour was the same in 1.18, the bug is not related to any recent code changes. Please try again with the last stable build and tell me if you encounter the same problem there.

vicktech

Quote from: "Jojo"That is not the point. If the behaviour was the same in 1.18, the bug is not related to any recent code changes. Please try again with the last stable build and tell me if you encounter the same problem there.

Checked version OpenMPT 1.18.03.00 (development build).
It does not suffer from such bugs.
Well, I should have told it before:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?msg=34804.0#msg34804

Saga Musix

I see what's happening now (your description was rather imprecise...). This only happens in the new preview edit mode you requested and also just when playing notes on a field that is already occupied by a note. I have no idea why it's happening, but I'll have a look into it.

Saga Musix

Apparently, your "simple" feature request introduced several race conditions to the code, meaning that the codeflow and thus the audio output became pretty unpredictable in its current form. This just makes things a lot more complicated than they already are, somehow I already think it would be a lot less work to just remove this feature...

vicktech

Quote from: "Jojo"Apparently, your "simple" feature request introduced several race conditions to the code
good should be strong and fierce
Quote, meaning that the codeflow and thus the audio output became pretty unpredictable in its current form. This just makes things a lot more complicated than they already are, somehow I already think it would be a lot less work to just remove this feature...

I never said "I will be easy". :twisted:
If you've missed something, I will cite:
QuoteThis approach combines launching of many routines simultaneously and stopping them also, and my require sophisticated programming methods.

Full text you will have here:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?msg=34804.0#msg34804

Never give up, never give in, never lay down.   :wink:

Look at this old software. It works within 64K of memory.
Intro
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hS9393ih0EM
Playing drums
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45mYoi3b0cw
It had been written by poor but professional programmers.
I will not believe that computer with at least 16Mb of memory can't do the same.
:)

Rakib

The developers are working in their spare time, nor are they professional developers or paid. But my impression of JoJo is that he is a great developer thats spends awful many hours working on developing modplug. So thanks to him modplug is developed on a daily basis.

But this feature sounds like it almost need a new a new player engine, which I don't think will happen anytime soon.
^^

Saga Musix

Some modifications have been made, please test this version if it works as expected:
http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe

vicktech