Question: how to pick a note hearing all the row.

Started by vicktech, September 30, 2010, 21:54:49

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

I tried something and added a new option to play the whole row when entering notes. It can be enabled from the setup (second checkbox in the "Options" box). I guess it might be appropriate to add a keyboard shortcut for this as well?
Try-out build: http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vicktech

Quote from: "Jojo"I tried something and added a new option to play the whole row when entering notes. It can be enabled from the setup (second checkbox in the "Options" box). I guess it might be appropriate to add a keyboard shortcut for this as well?
Try-out build: http://sagagames.de/stuff/mptrack.exe

may be,
but "play new notes while recording" doesnt work when using our new row-play technique.
New note is played with row when row-spacing=0.
when more than 0 it doesnt work... it seems that something is missing in the code?

Saga Musix

uh, "Play row while recording" is just an extension to "Play new notes while recording", i.e. you can just either play the whole row OR just the note.  How would you have imagined it to work?
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

vicktech

Quote from: "Jojo"uh, "Play row while recording" is just an extension to "Play new notes while recording", i.e. you can just either play the whole row OR just the note.  How would you have imagined it to work?

So new notes are not playing while recording now....
row is playing but without new notes.
that is strange.

When row-spacing = 0 everithing works as intended.
I'll try to make video.

Saga Musix

Oops, when using row spacing, the wrong row is played. I will fix that soon-ish.

vicktech

Saga Musix

Quote from: "vicktech"how it goes?
Any fixed releases?
Sorry, we're / I'm not that fast. There's a more or less serious issue which prevents an easy fix. I have no idea when this will be resolved, but it could take a few more days, unless I actually find the source of the problem.

Saga Musix

I've put up a tentative fix (same URL for the exe file), which should allow to use the new mode with row spacing enabled. I had to make some changes to the player core, so if the new version shows buggy behaviour when the pattern "step" mode is enabled, let me know.

vicktech

Congratulations! It works!
I haven't found any bugs yet.
Thank you!

I'm expecting that changing behavior further, will require digging the core.
For example when record is off and song is playing or stopped, user still wishes to accompany from keyboard - just to examine how it will sound.

By pressing special key song should play from cursor until key is released. Better if it will be Enter key.
Ctrl+G = Grab parameters from position.

Instrument, volume, image, and effect should be input from one key press. - that can be used to play drums or experiment with pattern. Anyway it is simpler and faster.

There should be set of editable masks to grab or overwrite current position under cursor.

Also should be channels grouping and editable "half-mute" for groups of channels.

Many other enhancements will make life easier (apparently not for programmer ::) ).

Saga Musix

Quote from: "vicktech"I'm expecting that changing behavior further, will require digging the core.
For example when record is off and song is playing or stopped, user still wishes to accompany from keyboard - just to examine how it will sound.
That is actually supposed to be possible and got broken when I implemented your request.

Saga Musix

A fixed version is up where playing notes with record disabled should be possible again...

vicktech

there's still some oddities.
When rec is off and song plays, space bar pressing erases position under cursor.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "vicktech"there's still some oddities.
Please, open a bug report thread in the appropriate forum for things like this. It's way easier for us to keep track of bugs that way. Actually I should just ignore this post, but since it's definitely a bug (cursor paste is not supposed to work when record is disabled of course), i'll make an excpetion. :P

Rakib

Thanks for the function, found it quite interesting.
^^