1.18.00.00 "Save as wave" never finishes

Started by Inavon, April 07, 2010, 00:18:06

Previous topic - Next topic

Inavon

When I click "save as wave," it starts saving as normal, but when it reaches the end, it keeps on going. For example, a 5 minute song would reach 5 minutes, pass it, and keep going. I click stop, and the wave file turns out to be silent. I can hear the song when I play it using Modplug Tracker. This problem does not happen every time, but I found if it happens for one song, it will happen for another.
I have no sig—wait, what this?

Rakib

Have happened to me several times, but just try it again and it will work again.
^^

jmkz

Check your song, verify the loop points of patterns and the restart pattern in the General tab, that is related with those things at least for me works. I used to add pattern loop events which causes this undesired effects when I render to wav.

Saga Musix

djmakas, that won't help. I don't know why, but somtimes, MPT really just renders an infinite stream of silence. No complicated loop settings are needed, a simple one-pattern module with one note in it will be sufficient. After hitting play + stop, it will render OK again.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

jmkz

Well some things like this happen to me, I am a litlle angry of this weird things, but anyway I dont which other actions I can do to avoid it, like a bug :?: when I open winamp and a song it corrupts the loading of some plugins for not say all.

Harbinger

I agree, it's a "bug" -- it shouldn't happen and we don't want it to happen. It's happened to me several times, and i always thought it was a memory-caching issue. I save the track, restart MPT, and export to wave and it works fine...but it definitely should be looked into at some point. :?

Skaven

I think I have a repro case here... I added an empty pattern to the end of a song, with only Noteoffs in its beginning, so that I could create a seamless loop by mixing the instrument tails to the start of the .wav.

When rendering that song to a wave, I got the endless rendering issue over and over again (restart didn't help). However, when I added a few notes (with zero volume) to the pattern, it rendered to .wav OK.

I'll try to repro it again today.. if it happens again, I can send the song project over for debugging, if you like.

Skaven

Quote from: "Skaven"I'll try to repro it again today.. if it happens again, I can send the song project over for debugging, if you like.
Couldn't repro it again. :(  Oh well...  (I tried deleting the zero volume notes, then rendering to wav again, but it rendered just fine)

Saga Musix

I'm not even sure if the bug is in the module renderer or if rather MPT files to allocate a mixing buffer or something. When I incorporate the new end of song detection code into the WAV renderer, time will show if it was indeed the module renderer which caused this operation to fail.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Inavon

I think that if I play the song and save it while it's still playing, and reopen the song, the wav will render correctly.
I have no sig—wait, what this?

Saga Musix

While editing a tune, I just noticed that this might have something to do with using the "play row" button, but I couldn't reproduce it so far, so that might be a wrong lead. Can anyone confirm this?

phanoo

I often have this bug, I don't tried to find how to reproduce it, but I just have to click Play 2 times (sometimes the first click does noting :shock: ) then Stop and Save as Wave will work.
I wonder if this bug appears like when the subwindow of MPT loses focus

phanoo

I use a LOT OpenMPT (several hours/day) and it's the only major bug I have, so I think it should be a priority

Rakib

I think it is a priority, most of modplug users have had this problem, the only problem is that the bug is not reprodusable.
^^

Saga Musix

In my eyes, a "priority" bug would be something that crashed the program or makes working with it impossible, but not something that can be fixed by using two shortcuts...