(S=O) [REQ] Harp tones in MIDI Library

Started by delete12345, May 12, 2010, 15:16:43

Previous topic - Next topic

delete12345

I couldn't find any Harp GM: DLS in the MIDI Library that was downloaded from the latest SVN version.

My hypothesis is that there was no Harp tones for the MIDI Library, so I request Modplug Tracker to have it.

Awaiting replies. :)

Rakib

There has never been any library of sounds included in modplug.
What I suggest is that you download the sound banks from somewhere else and import it in modplug. Please bear in mind that modplug isn't the best player for midi soundbanks, it is recommended that you use a vsti that plays soundfont to play them instead.
^^

Saga Musix

Supposedly you are trying to work with the GM.DLS files, which is shipped with Windows and not with OpenMPT. Are you lookin the Melodic Bank 01.00? The harp instrument should be present there.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

delete12345

Oh. So Windows didn't have it included?  :(
Where is the Melodic Bank 01.00?

Saga Musix

QuoteWhere is the Melodic Bank 01.00?
Sorry, I actually meant "Melodic", without any additional numbers. (that would be the WRONG bank to look in). I.e., just look where all other GM instruments are located:
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

delete12345

Thanks. I also just realized that it's the MIDI Library that's missing the Harp sample... :oops: I was about to use the GM DLS as my instrument, and then use the samples in the MIDI Library to mix something up.

(EDIT: I finally understood why my posts don't have BBCodes and smilies enabled.)

Saga Musix

Well, the midi library should contain the same instruments as GM.DLS in theory, unless you deleted them. To add it again, you can try removing the whole [Midi Library] block in mptrack.ini.

delete12345

Didn't see any mptrack.ini in the OpenMPT 1.8 test version.

I'm not sure if Harp has been deleted by me, or it wasn't in the MIDI Library throughout the whole time? Other than using Modplug Tracker, I didn't delete anything related to MIDI.

I'm also not sure what number the Harp sample is in the MIDI Library if it exist in my computer. I am 100% percent positive my computer does not have Harp samples in my sound card.

Is there a place where I can download and keep a Harp sample somewhere?

Saga Musix

Quote from: "delete12345"Didn't see any mptrack.ini in the OpenMPT 1.8 test version.
The ini files are located in %APPDATA%\OpenMPT\

QuoteI'm not sure if Harp has been deleted by me, or it wasn't in the MIDI Library throughout the whole time? Other than using Modplug Tracker, I didn't delete anything related to MIDI.
It must have been deleted by you if the other instruments are not missing, because it is extremely unlikely that some mysterious program just changed your GM.DLS file to remove a harp sample. :lol:

QuoteI'm also not sure what number the Harp sample is in the MIDI Library if it exist in my computer.
It's always instrument 46 (starting with 0), as that's how General MIDI defines it.

QuoteI am 100% percent positive my computer does not have Harp samples in my sound card.
OK, this made my day. :lol:
Unless you have a wavetable soundcard (which are not very popular anymore these days), you don't have "samples" in your soundcard, no. But Windows (or more precisely, DirectX) comes with a set of default (and really bad) General MIDI patches, which are located in the aforementioned file "GM.DLS", which is used by DirectMusic.

QuoteIs there a place where I can download and keep a Harp sample somewhere?
First-class orchestral samples are not free in most cases. However, you can have a look at TMA Waveworld, a 1GB torrent with various samples, also including harp samples. They vary in quality, but there are some good ones among them. You might also want to look for a more advanced General MIDI soundfont, f.e. the ConcertGM soundfont. This can be loaded into OpenMPT using sfz.

delete12345

Thanks! :D Gladly appreciated your help.

Saga Musix

Since this is clearly not a feature request, I moved the thread to the general chatter.