Compiling OpenMPT with Visual Studio Express

Started by Saga Musix, April 11, 2010, 17:16:38

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

OK, that may work. But i'll hafta wait till next time, because i didn't bring any CDs with me (it does work on CDs right, or am i presuming too much? again! :lol: )
So i just download the correct ISO directly to a CD/DVD and it will work as normal when i take it home?

Saga Musix

you download the ISO preferrably to a usb stick and either
1) burn it on a CD at home (using f.e. CDBurnerXP) or
2) extract the files from the ISO file, for example using WinRAR or
3) emulate a CD drive using something like daemon tools
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Great answers, and everything would work except that when i began downloading, the download dialog box said it would take 5 hrs!!

Needless to say, that won't work -- i've only got 80 mins left! :o

Always one constraint or another...

Thanks though for your help Jojo and 8bitbubsy! :wink:

Saga Musix

Well, as I said, a download manager should help.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Since nothing else seems to suggest that the SDK would include MFC and I've seen an installation of that particular SDK that does not have MFC includes nor libraries, more details about this would be nice to hear.

rewbs

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Since nothing else seems to suggest that the SDK would include MFC and I've seen an installation of that particular SDK that does not have MFC includes nor libraries, more details about this would be nice to hear.

Agreed. I always thought that the MFC libraries are effectively "part of" VS Standard/Pro only, so there is no (legal) way to build MFC apps on Express. That said, I can't find an unambiguous reference from MS supporting this statement, so I'd be delighted to be proven wrong.

8bitbubsy, just to be sure, can you confirm you have successfully built and executed OpenMPT on a system on which no commercial versions of VS are installed?

Rakib

^^

8bitbubsy

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Since nothing else seems to suggest that the SDK would include MFC and I've seen an installation of that particular SDK that does not have MFC includes nor libraries, more details about this would be nice to hear.
That's quite odd, because I've never ever used the pay-version of Visual C++, and yet I've compiled OpenMPT just fine by installing the DirectX SDK and Platform SDK/Windows SDK... + the include files Jojo/Saga_Musix linked to.
Actually, I compiled OpenMPT today and yesterday.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "Rakib"Another pack that claims to include support for mfc.
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=D466226B-8DAB-445F-A7B4-448B326C48E7&displaylang=en
But as said in the site: "This is a supplemental library and requires Visual Studio 2008 Standard Edition or above be installed on your system. "

Quote from: "8bitbubsy"That's quite odd, because I've never ever used the pay-version of Visual C++, and yet I've compiled OpenMPT just fine by installing the DirectX SDK and Platform SDK/Windows SDK... + the include files Jojo/Saga_Musix linked to.
And you can verify that the MFC include files and libraries are located in the SDK folders which by default is something like "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SDKs\Windows\v7.0\..."?

Harbinger

Found out that the library i'm downloading at is part of the city internetwork, so the more people working for the city are using the network, the slower my DLs will be. I've come here later in the day, about 5pm, when the city workers are going home, and my transfer rate is at least 10 times faster. So i'm DLing the Express .iso first. I'll let you all know...

(Later that day...)

Transfer rate much better, i may be able to get the Windows SDK, the DirectX SDK, and Visulal Basic 2008 Express all today...i'm anxious to get working. :wink:

Harbinger

Downloaded the dxsdk_apr2007.exe
Extracting:
- When initially extracting (the first window), the first process seems to stutter, but it does work.
- Let the Self-Extractor unzip to the temporary folder. The Setup afterwards will allow you to place it where you wish.
- When asked which files to extract, everything is checked except the "Redistributable Files". I went ahead and checked that so it would be included. The total disk space needed is about 8.5 MB.
- The files are extracted to a folder called "Microsoft DirectX SDK (April 2007)".

Downloaded the GRMSDK_EN_DVD.iso
Extracting:
- Tried burning to a DVD-R in hopes of opening it as a mounted CD/DVD. The burn was successful (it will not fit onto a single CD-R), but Windows would not mount it when i double-clicked it. Went to WinRAR as Jojo suggested, but it did not recognize anything except the ReadMe. On a hunch, i opened it with 7-Zip, and it recognized all the files. I unzipped the ISO to a temp folder.
- Ran the Setup for the SDK installer. Again i checked the Redistributable Files box since i wasn't sure if i would need it. Total Disk space for everything: 1.4 GB.
- The files are extracted to a folder called "MicroSoft SDKs". I also noticed a lot of Registry reworking (adding AND deleting entries) while the extraction took place. But the whole installation seemed to be well-organized (it stopped to clean up memory caches along the way!), and it even creates a log file. I should have brought a Tom Clancy novel though; it took 15 minutes!

Downloaded VS2008ExpressENUX1397868.iso
Extracting:
- With 7-Zip the extraction of .iso files into a temporary folder took a lot longer (over 20 mins, even at 2MB/sec!). But it was successful. It needed over 2.7GB of my hard drive to do it. Apparently because there are 4 versions of Visual Express: Visual C++, Visual C#, Visual Basic, and Visual Web Developer. That's dumb...
- The Setup installer prompts you for various components: Visual C++, SQL, and Silverline. Since i'm not on the internet at home, i deselected the Silverline. Not sure if i would need SQL, i kept that (it was only an extra 400 MB). Anyway, the installation took over 10 minutes, and there was no details on what was being done like in the WindowsSDK installer.
- After it was done, i found no log as to what was added to my computer and where.

I have a feeling i should have loaded the SDKs AFTER the VSExpress installation.

I started VS2008Express, but i wasn't sure how to determine if VSExpress recognizes all the SDKs. It loaded mptrack.vsproj just fine.
I need to learn the VS environment, so i can learn how to compile the source. I first want to make sure it will cleanly build the project from the outset.

More news later, but first a couple of questions:

1. How do i know if the SDKs are being recognized and used?
2. Once i begin making changes, how do i use Tortoise to create a patch (what the usual routine?)? Then where do i submit it for inclusion in the build? (I have the most recent build, and the 'working copy' all set up, but the instructions make it unclear about how to create the patch from a project...)

OK, after trying to build, the log says that it doesn't recognize stdafx, which i believe is part of MFC. So for now i still can't do any (effective) work...

Saga Musix

QuoteI have a feeling i should have loaded the SDKs AFTER the VSExpress installation.
yes.

QuoteIt loaded mptrack.vsproj just fine.
You have to open MPTRACK_08.sln.

Quote1. How do i know if the SDKs are being recognized and used?
If it doesn't compile. :P
2. You can find that out as described here: http://openmpt.xwiki.com/xwiki/bin/view/Development/GettingTheCode

2. Once i begin making changes, how do i use Tortoise to create a patch (what the usual routine?)?
Right-click on the OpenMPT-Folder (it should have a red exclamation mark instead of a green checker) as soon as you modify a file and choose TortoiseSVN -> Create Patch. Then send it to Relabs.

Relabsoluness

To cut wings from the rumours giving false hope to people and wasting their time, could we make it clear that OpenMPT can't be compiled by using VC2010 express with latest Microsoft SDK or if it can, surely someone can confirm the report.

Harbinger

I've had so many problems with 2008 Express and there have been no clear instructions on how to set up everything, that i've given up and i'm trying to  find VS 2008 Professional/Standard. Plus i'll be trying some other projects, and i need to use the dialog builder feature.