Treeless mode

Started by Sam_Zen, February 12, 2006, 00:14:51

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Is there a way to start OMPT without having the tree-view at the left of the screen ?
I never use this, because I prefer to have my working field as big as possible. Now, everytime I have to disable this before I can start working. Ini-file maybe ?

Matt Hartman

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Is there a way to start OMPT without having the tree-view at the left of the screen ?
I never use this, because I prefer to have my working field as big as possible. Now, everytime I have to disable this before I can start working. Ini-file maybe ?

no.

at least that I'm aware of.
Yeah, sure. Right. Whatever.

Squirrel Havoc

I'm sure you've tried this, but have you thought of moving the seperator to the far far left and see if it's position will be saved into an INI file? If it does, it's a good temp fix until Rewbs impliments your suggestion.
Anyone can do anything if they have nothing else to do
-
Most musicians are talented. I'm just determined.

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Matt Hartman"
Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Is there a way to start OMPT without having the tree-view at the left of the screen ?

no.

at least that I'm aware of.

Damnit, you beat me :)
-

speed-goddamn-focus

At least in the verison of I'm using on this computer the state of the treeview is saved. (1.17.02.39) I believe it's saved in the registry.

But you really should start using it, it's one of the best features of MPT.

EDIT: version number ;)

Sam_Zen

Hmm, I don't like things being saved in the registry ..

Squirrel Havoc

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Hmm, I don't like things being saved in the registry ..

Don't believe those anti-microsoft people, the registry is your friend, just DONT edit it unless you KNOW what you are doing. But it's nothing but a binary INI file, that is one master file for all programs to share.
-

Snu

uh, cant you just turn it off in the view menu...?
or press ctrl-f2?
what do you mean everytime you have to disable it before you can start working? it saves the last state of it....
maybe i dont understand the problem here.

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

as snu said... just disable it in the view-menu or pull the separator to the left
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Sam_Zen

Quote from: "Snu"everytime you have to disable it before you can start working? it saves the last state of it....
This is exactly the problem. The last state of it doesn't appear to be saved ... as one would expect.

Snu

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"
Quote from: "Snu"everytime you have to disable it before you can start working? it saves the last state of it....
This is exactly the problem. The last state of it doesn't appear to be saved ... as one would expect.
it is, or it is for me anyway, and it should be...
sounds like a bug, where's rewbs when you need him?
id suggest making a post in the temporary test build bug report thread:
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=42.0

Sam_Zen

I will do, but this happens both with the RC2 and the beta-version. Checked it out further :
As long as I change the view, close the app and open it again, it works like it should.
But as soon as, after closing, I did run some other app in the meantime, and then open Mpt again, the treeview is default back again.

victimofconspiracy

This is a problem that shows up when you are using more than one version of MPT. For example...I have songs that don't sound right in the newer versions of OMPT because they were created in an older version. So, I load them in an older version of MPT, and the tree is open, even though I always have it closed. Now, if I close the tree and, after I'm done, I close that instance of MPT, then, I open the same again, the tree will still be closed. But if I open another instance of a different version, the tree will be open, and I will have to close it again. This works vice-versa as well.

Not having any programming knowledge, I couldn't really say that I know why this is, except for the possibility that each version may write to the same place in the registry, causing conflict, but as long as you are only using one version of MPT, you shouldn't have this problem, at least in my experience.

LPChip

It might be caused by the following:

If you open another version of MPT, the settings can be initialised because some are saved while others aren't. Perhaps the setting is deleted because of the older version, and during initialisation, its being set to default setting again?

You can verify this to be happening by seeing the configuration screen during startup.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Sam_Zen

Quite right about the configuration screen. This gave me a lot of info about the situation.
(apart from the fact, that the beta version every time starts up with this screen on forehand)
It appears that there is more to it here, than just the treeview. There are also confusing things happening with the set of subdirectories, like 'songs' or 'instruments', plus, even more important, the 'default.mkb' file.

Situation : I have the RC2 version in its own directory, with its own 'default.mkb' file, and its own subdir 'songs' etc. The same is valid for the RC2 beta version. Own directory, with own kb-file, own subdirs.
In both the apps the config screen has taken over the path to 'default.mkb' and the subdirs, saved in last session of any of the two versions. So if I have set in the regular RC2 ver, the path to "D:/RC2/default.mkb", then close it, and then open RC2beta, its config screen will point to the latest path : "D:/RC2/default.mkb" instead of, what should be, the path "D:/RC2beta/default.mkb". The same with the song-subdir.
So far, this only emphasizes my disgust against the registry.