Hi new user/forum member, and a quick question or two

Started by DeltaMK3, February 28, 2010, 22:50:56

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaMK3

Hi just wanted to introduce myself, being new member.

Please forgive me if I am overlooking something in the search engine but I'm in a bit of a hurry to write this post.

I've "tinkered" with MPT before OpenMPT was around ever...

I've had a problem with a VSTi recently playing in MPT, and its hard for me to find info on exactly what I'm looking for.

Also is there a FAQ or primer regarding using VSTi + OMPT? (I noticed the Wiki, but it doesn't appear to cover VST/i)

The specific problem I've had if anyone can help me...I would really appreciate it - so I can move on forward on the track I'm working on...

I've been using 2 channels with the same VSTi. They are both in different channels...and while I've successfully used === to stop the VSTi output on one channel...The other, when I try to stop output using that, or other note properties...it does not work...

The last note just keeps sustained. Can someone tell me how to fix this so I can stop the note/s from sustaining like that? I'm thinking maybe I need to use some sort of MIDI macro (ZXX) and I saw a great post about them...Going to check that out...but I'm not sure why '===' works on one channel but refuses to work on another...
:oops:
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I never had too many problems just using the old MPT, but its this integrating VSTi (and therefore MIDI I guess) with the old ways that is throwing me off.

Thanks
Dave

DeltaMK3

Dammit! I think I put this in the wrong forum. If a moderator could move it (if necessary) I'd appreciate it. Sorry all I'm not trying to be a complete noob... :lol:

LPChip

This is the correct forum. No need to move it elsewhere.

As for your problem, its a bit hard to understand what you're trying to do, but so far I think you want to control one vsti using 2 midi channels and you're facing the problem that notes aren't cut properly.

Are you also setting the instrument number next to the ==?

Example:

C-4 01 | C-4 02
== 01  |
C-4 01 | == ^102 ^4This 02 is very important because 01 is starting a midi note on the same VSTi.^n
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

LPChip, it might come as a shock to you, but the instrument numbers next to note cuts/fades/offs are not necessary.

I guess it would greatly help here if you could upload a small testcase (preferrably with a free VST). It might be a problem with the VST, but it might also just be the problem that you misunderstood something.

PS: Please use modplug's clipboard format and [code] tags in the future for patterns on the forums, so it's easier to copy the notes into MPT and alignment is a lot better with [code] tags as well.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "Jojo"LPChip, it might come as a shock to you, but the instrument numbers next to note cuts/fades/offs are not necessary.

I guess it would greatly help here if you could upload a small testcase (preferrably with a free VST). It might be a problem with the VST, but it might also just be the problem that you misunderstood something.

PS: Please use modplug's clipboard format and [code] tags in the future for patterns on the forums, so it's easier to copy the notes into MPT and alignment is a lot better with [code] tags as well.

I've had occasions where it was necessary.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

It probably was, but in a situation like you described it, it is definitely not necessary (anymore).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

psishock

while we're in it, this looks like a nice opportunity to try out the code tag and throw in another question. Why isn't this
|C-501      
|C-502      
|===01   <-instrument 02 gets the noteoff command, instead of 01 (same without numbering)
|===02   <-totally ignored

or this

|C-501      
|C-502      
|===02   <-instrument 02 gets the noteoff command, that is ok now
|===01   <-totally ignored

workin'? Both samples are sustain looped (same with VSTis), NNA enabled of course while dealing with samples. Volume and other sustain settings are ignored also on the first instrument after the second jumps in, while the purpose of adding an instrument number to a noteoff command, on the same channel should deal with them even if were using "virtual" channels to work with multiple notes on the same one. The numbered noteoff command should be an easy way to send a simple MIDI noteoff command to any specified VSTi on the same channel.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

Well, the instrument number simply has no meaning in that case, since the old IT days it has been like this. But the latter example can actually be achieved by using the S7x command. First, use == to release instrument two, and then S71 to trigger a note off for the virtual channel that's still playing. I don't know if S7x works with VSTis, though.

DeltaMK3

hey all -

just wanted to say thanks for the replies...it was actually just a very simple error on my part...confused the channel!  :lol:

I'm still probably going to post some more questions as I want to become more adept with OMPT...

LPChip

Great you solved it.

And of course, feel free to ask more questions. :)

psishock

Quote from: "DeltaMK3"I'm still probably going to post some more questions as I want to become more adept with OMPT...
young, promising people, full of life energy and composing dreams :D

Quote from: "Jojo"I don't know if S7x works with VSTis, though.
well i think, that it wont be logical to work at all. You see, if a vsti uses "multichanel", we arent talking about "virtual" channels at all, but we are using the actual presented channel, and the vsti is handling all those caching processes internally, no tracker feature is involved.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)