reViSiT v1.3.1 Pro for free

Started by chrisnash, January 19, 2010, 19:03:53

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

this route - the rewire for Revisit - was one of the future development wishes I had for OMPT - rewire support.

As I said there OMPT could occupy a valuable niche there and it is already standalone.

No offense chrisnash btw  - I assume revisit does not support XM commands and does not have microtonal tuning capability - both of which OMPT does.

chrisnash

None taken - it doesn't support XM commands (though you can import XM files). Microtones, however, is something I want to add at some point.

uncloned

Hi Chris,

Scala is *the* tuning and scale application - I suggest you look at import of scala tuning files - .scl

www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

and it is a free program to boot - very powerful.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scala_%28program%29

LPChip

Hmm, reViSiT is missing quite some functions I'd need in order to find this tool suitable to add to my toolbox. This is a shame really, cus I would really like to add it in my toolbox, so I can have a tracker in my sequencer, track a backing, and play over it using my continuum. That would rock really well. :)

What I basically miss are the following things:

- When I want to load a sample, I get a basic windows load dialog. I cannot preview my sample unless I loaded it. I always use modplug's treeview so I can preview the samples before dragging them in. Even IT had a preview option.

- It seems this is samples and instrument only. I nowadays have a lot of VSTi's, that I'd like to use inside ReViSiT.

- If possible, it would be nice to get samples from inside songs (like .IT files) I virtually have no samples stored on my harddrive, but those that I do are all in one big folder which I've gotten from a friend)

The following are just some annoyances that makes it harder to get used to:
- the resolution of the sample window is quite small, making it hard to set the loops right. I'd like to zoom in all the way so I can see where the 0 point is and get a precise loop directly, not change, select sample, play, wrong, select loopsettings, change, select sample, play, etc...

- You can't click everywhere to make things activated. I've often clicked the sample text when I quickly wanted to play and it started to type letters. In IT, when you did that, it would select the play button first and you had to navigate left to change the text. More intuitive I think.

For now, am going to track quickly in OpenMPT to get that feeling out of my system. I might try ReViSiT again tomorrow or so, but not today.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"And Jojo just added another reason.
A reason for what? Not to use it? No. It was just a reason why surround sound will not work in MPT. I don't mind reViSiT being a VST, as there's no disadvantage in this.

QuoteThis is a shame really, cus I would really like to add it in my toolbox, so I can have a tracker in my sequencer, track a backing, and play over it using my continuum.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

chrisnash

LPChip:

I appreciate what you're saying, but it sounds like some things are simply to do with what you're used to. Others, however, are on the to-do list:

Quote- When I want to load a sample, I get a basic windows load dialog. I cannot preview my sample unless I loaded it. I always use modplug's treeview so I can preview the samples before dragging them in. Even IT had a preview option.

- If possible, it would be nice to get samples from inside songs (like .IT files) I virtually have no samples stored on my harddrive, but those that I do are all in one big folder which I've gotten from a friend)

The sample load screen is basic, but will not always be. I plan to implement "library" screens for samples and instruments, similar to IT2. At the moment, the file dialog is actually provided by the host. Originally, for some hosts (like Cubase), this meant that there was a sample preview feature built-in. Steinberg, oddly, have removed this in C5. That's progress.

Quote- It seems this is samples and instrument only. I nowadays have a lot of VSTi's, that I'd like to use inside ReViSiT.

Not so. reViSiT doesn't host VST plugins, but you can connect to VSTi/MIDI instruments, if you look in the Pitch/MIDI tab of the Instrument List (F4). Toggle the "Out" button to tell the instrument to use MIDI. There are also some advanced settings for MIDI control behind the Settings... button on this screen. For example, you can setup up to 10 MIDI effects (such as CC's) to use from the pattern. It allows for very close integration with all manner of synths.

If your host supports it, you can select "VST Host" from the MIDI device list, and the note data will be funneled back to your host, where you can link it to whatever VSTi or MIDI device you like. If your host doesn't support it, you can access the system's MIDI drivers, and perhaps use a MIDI loopback device, such as LoopBE to get the MIDI back to your host.

Quote- the resolution of the sample window is quite small, making it hard to set the loops right. I'd like to zoom in all the way so I can see where the 0 point is and get a precise loop directly, not change, select sample, play, wrong, select loopsettings, change, select sample, play, etc...

Granted, the waveform display is not the most detailed. Again, I'll change this when I have the chance. However, editing loop points shouldn't be difficult: Audition Mode is available from anywhere in the program, by toggling Caps Lock. If you hold shift while releasing the note, it won't send a Note Off and will create a hanging note. Then you can play with the loop points on-the-fly, without having to retrigger the note - your edits will affect whatever is already playing. Note: this shift-behaviour used to be more intuitive (you could just use Shift-<Note>), but there seems to be a little gremlin in the new keyboard handler. Something for 1.3.2!

Quote- You can't click everywhere to make things activated. I've often clicked the sample text when I quickly wanted to play and it started to type letters. In IT, when you did that, it would select the play button first and you had to navigate left to change the text. More intuitive I think.

Heh, my supervisor tells me off whenever I try to use the word "intuitive" in connection with user interfaces. You can still click the [>Play] area at the end of the list item to get to this audition area, but I'll think about having this as the default jump-to point. Thing is, most text boxes will move the text cursor upon the click, so this is what I think most users would see as "intuitive". I guess what you're saying is change this to a list box, with double-click-to-edit.

Saga Musix

In a nutshell: apparently, can neither open modules nor samples. :)
A bit more "extensive" report (after using it for 10 minutes): It's clearly visible where reViSiT's roots are. :) The first thing I did was dragging the mouse over the pattern editor, seeing that you can only select complete channel cells, not only parts of them (e.g. only the volume column). Yeah, good old IT. :)

Since you're even using a custom child window, I don't quite understand why the size of the instrument / sample editors is limited. As LPChip mentioned, the views are a bit small, especially on large resolutions like I use them.

A general note: I find it very hard to switch between trackers, and I know that most tracker people feel exactly them same thing. IT users hate anything FT2-based, while FT2 nutters loathe anything that resembles IT in a way. Although I have spent a lifetime (well, not quite :) but man, it's almost a third of my life now :o ) with MPT and also used a few AdLib trackers before that, I still find IT somewhat usable, while I detest f.e. Renoise's interface. This might help me getting into this VSTi a bit.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

chrisnash

QuoteIn a nutshell: apparently, can neither open modules nor samples.

Sorry, can't quite follow you here - are you having trouble loading samples or modules? Admittedly, the only sample format supported is WAV, but module (including their samples) support is pretty broad - MOD, XM, S3M, IT.

QuoteA bit more "extensive" report (after using it for 10 minutes): It's clearly visible where reViSiT's roots are.  The first thing I did was dragging the mouse over the pattern editor, seeing that you can only select complete channel cells, not only parts of them (e.g. only the volume column). Yeah, good old IT.  

Heh, this was recently discussed on my own forum - here's what I replied then:

You'll be pleased to hear that, when I did the coding for sub-row selections, I coded the foundations for sub-column selections, too. However; how, or if, I add them is still undecided. Having sub-column selections really slows down copy-and-paste operations, if you want to handle whole rows. For example, if it takes 8 cursors to the right to select a channel, rather than one; it's a major bottleneck. You might argue that you can hold the cursor down, but the loss of accuracy in such cases will damage your feeling of being "in control", and derail the flow you were in. Alternatively, perhaps there are special shortcuts for sub-column selections and whole-column selections. In which case, this is just another thing for the user to learn, and which do you make default?

QuoteSince you're even using a custom child window, I don't quite understand why the size of the instrument / sample editors is limited. As LPChip mentioned, the views are a bit small, especially on large resolutions like I use them.

It's historical, mainly. reViSiT started as a fixed-size plugin window, but had to break away because host's impose too many compatibility issues (notably with stealing keyboard input). I don't want to have sizeable sub-windows, because I want to minimise the amount of windowing and housekeeping the user must do, and keep the layout constant, but I do want to make better use of the space, so enlarging the sample pages, etc. will happen at some point. Like everything, though, it just takes time...

LPChip

Thanks Chrisnash.

I'll look into some of the things you pointed out.

If I can get midi to work as I want, then most of my problems are gone and I can do what I want to do: create patterns in ReViSiT that play VSTi's, and use another VSTi with my continuum fingerboard to lay a melody around it.

I don't think this tool will be a replacement for OpenMPT but its nice to have it next to it, for when I'm working in EnergyXT.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "chrisnash"Sorry, can't quite follow you here - are you having trouble loading samples or modules? Admittedly, the only sample format supported is WAV, but module (including their samples) support is pretty broad - MOD, XM, S3M, IT.
I just get a "Loading... cancelled" or something like that when pressing one of the loading buttons. Or "can't load a module while reViSiT is playing" (where is a bit more clear what it's supposed to mean, but stopping the module just leads to the former error).

uncloned

Chris,

A question - is it true from your experience that rewire does nto work in a 64 bit environment?

I was just reading such on the Sonar site - curious as to your experience.

Thanks,

Chris

chrisnash

I've not had much hands-on experience with ReWire, and I've never been able to get the SDK, as I'm not an "incorporated" company (though I could be for £30, down Companies House).

Some people have mentioned that you can connect 32-bit plugins/ReWire slaves to 64-bit hosts/ReWire masters, but many of the bridges that manufacturers have written so far are very buggy. reViSiT has a crash report option, and it occassionally catches other (non-reViSiT, systemic) crashes in the host software - many of which seem to originate in such 32/64-bit bridges.

For my own part, my 64-bit experiences have so far encouraged me to stick with 32-bit XP - XP64 seemed a little rough-round-the-edges, Vista was always a dog no matter what the bit rate, and 64-bit 7 has several serious teething problems. Add to that; my computer throws a wobbly if I chuck anything more than 2Gb in it, so there's little in it for me!

uncloned

ahh ok.

I run Vista 64 with a Quad cpu and 6 gigs of ram.

My main two DAWs are Sonar producer 8.5 and Open MPT.

So it sounds like ReVisit is... not a possibility for me.

Actually, I'm getting along with Vista 64 fine though it is truly quirkier than the Win 7 64 bit I have on my laptop. My thinking is that Vista needed *way more* horse power than they were ever willing to admit.

Win 7 64 runs about as speedy as XP 32 I used to have - but is much prettier :-)

chrisnash

That's not to say reViSiT has any fundamental problems running 64-bit itself - it should run just as well as any other 32-bit VSTi on 64-bit. I'm just alluding to the possibility that the 32-bit plugin support of some 64-bit hosts might be better than others.

Just in case there's any confusion - reViSiT does not use ReWire. The communication between reViSiT and reBUS is "homegrown".  :wink:

Saga Musix

Also, OpenMPT would be a possible 32-bit host to choose. ;)