and the newest spambot...

Started by cyperkid, February 06, 2006, 12:49:19

Previous topic - Next topic

cyperkid

...sucks!

who is that muratX666X spamming the board and first of all the memberlist?
is that the pre-information that this board will suffer another attack from pirates???
commodore stole my childhood

LPChip

Actually, most spambots really suck. They register at the forums wtih an invalid email adress. These adresses bounces back and I'm being notified about that. So they can't even spam due to an account that isn't activated.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cyperkid

but what's the use of registering 300 times...
(apart from annoying the admins)
:x

LPChip

Quote from: "cyperkid"but what's the use of registering 300 times...

Each spambot is being executed by someone else from another place. They don't know if it works or not. In fact, they don't even see the site themselves. Its an automated process they start that just scans the website for keywords like phpBB. It can be easilly stopped by adding certain steps during registration, but that takes too much time so I just delete/ban violations.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

cyperkid

Quote from: "LPChip"
Quote from: "cyperkid"but what's the use of registering 300 times...

Each spambot is being executed by someone else from another place. They don't know if it works or not. In fact, they don't even see the site themselves. Its an automated process they start that just scans the website for keywords like phpBB. It can be easilly stopped by adding certain steps during registration, but that takes too much time so I just delete/ban violations.

i see, you take it easy  :wink:
but i am still (rhetorically) asking myself WHY these morons (wether by programming this spam crap or typing each separatly) annoy harmless (yes!), innocent (definitly yes!) forums with 40-50 more or less busy users (if at all?)
anyway, i don't need answers...
same feeling of being helpless in this strange world araises when i'm reading the news about now-a-days global happenings

LPChip

The reason is simple... If it works, it can generate money. Even if its only one penny or so...

Relabsoluness

Hmmm, maybe the title(or the first message) could be changed before someone 'real' person registers - wouldn't it be quite rude to see after registration 'and the newest member sucks!'  :)

LPChip

Quote from: "Relabsoluness"Hmmm, maybe the title(or the first message) could be changed before someone 'real' person registers - wouldn't it be quite rude to see after registration 'and the newest member sucks!'  :)

Good point. Topic edited. ;)

cyperkid

yeah, thanks for changing the name...
i didn't mean to harm anybody...
:oops: