open mpt - record on multipule columns?

Started by uncloned, December 27, 2009, 03:59:40

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

I recorded a performance from my midi keyboard into OpenMPT.

What I couldn't find was the ability to record on more than one column at once. What I want to find if the FTII method of recording each successive note onto the next column over to the right and then cycling back to the 1st column once the last column is used. This is kind of unnecessary for the NNA of the MPTM format - but I think still useful - especially for chords.

What I'm working on is exploring OpenMPT as a microtonal performance, recording, and publishing tool

http://clones.soonlabel.com/public/micro/11-ET/

So... can this work? I unfortunately used 2.54 not 3.02 so... perhaps I need to go back and try that.

Also, it seemed the tuning section was kind of messed up in .54 - and it refused to accept .tun tuning files other applications use. That was a bit disappointing.

Thanks for any help / insight

Chris

g

Shift-clicking on the channels (i.e. where it says "Channel x") you want to record on should do the trick in any version of MPT I think... As for the .tun files, I have positively no idea.

Paul Legovitch

You can also open the record-select tab of the channel manager.
There is a dedicated paragraph page 33 of Harbinger's Help manual.

QuoteThis is kind of unnecessary for the NNA of the MPTM format
The ability to record-select channels is essential imho (could be better though) and I believe the NNA is a long time IT feature (also essential). :)

Saga Musix

QuoteAlso, it seemed the tuning section was kind of messed up in .54 - and it refused to accept .tun tuning files other applications use. That was a bit disappointing.
I think MPT uses it's own file format for this (I didn't even know that there is a "standard" for tunings).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "uncloned"Also, it seemed the tuning section was kind of messed up in .54
What do mean with "messed up"?

Quote from: "uncloned"- and it refused to accept .tun tuning files other applications use.
As Jojo said, the .tun files that OpenMPT uses uses its own format. If you know about tuning file specifications that are commonly used in other applications it would nice hear about them.

uncloned

Ok,

I just woke up so this will be a partial response

The gold standard for tuning files is the program Scala (not to be confused with the programming language)

Here is the program

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/

and here is an explanation of the .scl format - there are literally thousands of tunings in this format - all free to use.

http://www.huygens-fokker.org/scala/scl_format.html

If you were to consider supporting a standard tuning format my suggestion would be to support .scl files which are very popular and supported by many programs.

Scala, btw, is incredibly feature rich and powerful freeware that supports .scl, .tun. and pretty much every tuning file format on the planet.

uncloned

Ok,  thanks for the help here I have recording on multiple columns working.

And I figured out how to use the tuning section (again it seems) - though it does seem... counter intuitive to drag a tuning over to the sandbox, then hover over it, then select copy or move, then edit it, and then drag the modified tuning back to the original section and once again answer copy or move. But it does work.

Perhaps I should say this in feature request - I'd love

1. support for .scl format
2. the option to save the tuning with the .mptm file.

Thanks,

Relabsoluness

Quote from: "uncloned"And I figured out how to use the tuning section (again it seems) - though it does seem... counter intuitive to drag a tuning over to the sandbox, then hover over it, then select copy or move, then edit it, and then drag the modified tuning back to the original section and once again answer copy or move. But it does work.
It's a known defect that the tuning dialog is unsatisfactory. The procedure described there reminds that there indeed is no easier way to duplicate tunings. A new "empty" tuning can be created by right-clicking on tuning collection.

Quote from: "uncloned"1. support for .scl format
Will certainly be taken into consideration. Thanks for the information about the format.

Quote from: "uncloned"2. the option to save the tuning with the .mptm file.
Already possible to some extent; tune specific tuning collection is saved in mptm-files.