Tips window at startup

Started by Paul Legovitch, November 07, 2009, 01:03:48

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Very good idea. If i had my wish, i would put start up tips for new users at application open (or perhaps file open). But what would really make tips work is if the tips showed up when using certain functions. For example, the first time you use MIDI in/out, VSTs, macros/PCEs, etc., in much the same way MS WORD would offer to help when it thinks you're trying to create a letter.
Then as each tip was read, it would not show again, unless the user checked a box to remind him later.

Overall it's a good idea! :D

LPChip

The first tip should definitely be: OpenMPT can help you by giving you tips. Are you interested in getting tips? [yes] [no]
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

That would be totally redundant and annoying. Afterall, a default TotD dialog has a nice "Show tips at startup" checkbox.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

Jojo got a point here about the effects, dependent of the sample.
A tutorial song would be a good solution to show the codes and hear the result.
This is indeed about startup tips. Let's not confuse it with tips if mouseover.

Paul Legovitch

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Jojo got a point here about the effects, dependent of the sample.
A tutorial song would be a good solution to show the codes and hear the result.
This is indeed about startup tips. Let's not confuse it with tips if mouseover.
True, a tutorial song would be a really good solution to document all sorts of tracking tricks. No need to create a coherent song : several independent sequences (with the same instrument set) could be made by several trackers to illustrate many effects.

Although I like Harbinger's idea of contextual tips I fear that it would be hard to achieve a really helpful while non-obtrusive way to do it. As Sam mentions, tips on mouseover (in the infobar) are good for this (and could use some more details maybe here and there).