And out of the ashes....

Started by uncloned, November 04, 2009, 14:20:52

Previous topic - Next topic

Louigi Verona

Well, we are discussing this, so you action did succeed in some way. After all, you are the initiator of the site so you are the one to decide, we are just brainstorming. If you did buy a domain and have no intention of buying a different one - then our suggestions are, of course, unnecessary.

In my opinion, noindustrymusic - something that you said was a desirable variant, - is in my opinion a certain social position, an attempt at opposition to something.
I am not sure that I personally would be willing to release at the community which actively opposes itself to the industry. Why? Because it will be missing the point. It, just like the music industry it opposes, would look at music as a means of social stance. In case of a noindustrymusic, while there can be found a positive message in the name, it will still label a community as a political opposition. I do not wish my music to be considered part of any industry, as I am a composer, not a factory worker, but I do not wish to be engaged in a political campaign against the music industry as well.

When starting off with a project, I always found it useful to clearly understand the concept. What will the concept of the new community be? Because I strongly believe TiS failed not because people are "lazy" and not because "Saurin is not attending to the site". All of those are secondary reasons. The problem with TiS is an outdated concept. Look around - musical communities like that do not work, it's not just TiS. I can explain in great detail why this is happening (in my opinion), but not here certainly.

So a "replacement" for TiS, if it is a straight replacement - will be a waste of time as it will very likely be as dull.

Do you have a new concept?

uncloned

Yes, not only music.

and TiS was a success until Roncli stepped in and mis handled not only Aswood but spacewalk's accusations.

Louigi Verona

Well, what can I say. I think from all the modplug members your project will be met with enthusiasm and support. Just keep us posted!

Sam_Zen

I agree with LV about being in the opposition against the industry. I prefer a positive approach.

But the industry claims to own Music itself, so to me is, as a concept, 'not only music' sufficient.

uncloned

We do plan to be different fro TiS in certain respects. At the moment I have a diverse group of people that are trying to form a consensus on direction. When we have some concrete ideas we'll open it up to the public in general.  

And in my opinion applying the SoOn multidisciplinary approach to a  public art/music/video site is a positive and... I'm pretty sure not typical.

uncloned

OK,

After a brief huddle we decided going with a phpBB was best instead of working the custom TBBS to get the features we needed.

This is OPEN enrollment to the public - the TBBS site will be closed.

Everyone is encouraged to sign up and give your ideas and input on the new Not Only Music website

http://notonlymusic.com/board

LPChip

Although I'm wondering why you chose phpBB as forumsoftware and not SMF, I still registered. :)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

because I could install it from cPanel via fantastico in under 2 mins?

*shrug*

LPChip

Ah too bad.

The webinstall.php from Simple Machines Forum is almost as quick.

Since its still early, you might want to reconsider.

The pro's of using SMF instead of phpBB: If you mod phpBB, you'll have a problem when you need to update.

SMF has many mods as packages that you can download and install from the control panel. While a package is installed, you can still perform an update of the forumsoftware (also from the control panel)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

Well, I'd expect the phpBB to go away once the real site is up so its probably not worth the bother.

Louigi Verona

phpBB is a good choice, imo.

Saga Musix

phpBB sucks, that's how much I can say about it. And yay, RC2 of SMF Forum has been released! \o/
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

?

at the bottom of this webpage I see

"Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group"

Saga Musix

So? Doesn't make my point about phpBB not being all the rage less valid.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"?

at the bottom of this webpage I see

"Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2002 phpBB Group"

Yes, it does. This was from before I knew the power of SMF. Now that I do know the power, the new website will no longer use phpBB as forumsoftware, but SMF instead.