Generating long tones

Started by xarragon, October 27, 2009, 01:23:19

Previous topic - Next topic

xarragon

Hello, I'm new to tracking and currently I am having trouble generating slow, long tones in ModPlug. I have a VSTi instrument generating ambient noise, and then I have a more rapid succession of tones playing on top of this.

When I play notes on the laptop's keyboard I simply hold down the keys longer. When I insert notes in the pattern editor the only way I can generate the slow, long notes is to lower the global tempo.

But then I can't  have my rapid successions playing on top of the ambient tones. I've tried duplicating notes and put them after another, but this registers as multiple, rapid keypresses.

So how do I adjust the "down" time for a single note? I tried searching but I can't seem to find the proper terms.

Thank you in advance,
Martin "xarragon" Persson
Sweden

uncloned

you have to loop your samples or time stretch them

see the on line help manual thread for more help

Saga Musix

Actually, he said that he's using a VSTi. In that case, we cannot really help you since you have to find out how to increase the length of the velocity curve (mostly the sustain part in ADSR) so that your pad will last forever (until it is cut).
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

LPChip

Since you say that the tempo is affecting this. What causes the note to stop playing? Is it a note off (===) or note cut ( ^^^) that is placed in the pattern? Or is it that the pattern reaches its end? Or perhaps the next note is reached?

Or is it really just stopping out of nowhere?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

Quote from: "LPChip"Or is it really just stopping out of nowhere?
As I said, it's quite possible that the sustain part of his ADSR velocity curve (I guess the VSTi has one) is just too short. Those normally also depend on the song tempo.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.