Pattern Editor: Option for new Shift-click

Started by Harbinger, October 13, 2009, 14:31:30

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Desperately need an option with this new shift-click in the pattern editor. The new action (in 1.17.03.02) is that if you hold the shift key while clicking in the pattern editor, all the fields between the original cursor location and the new one is selected. It's a great feature, but there are problems:

First of all if you want to MOVE A COPY of the selection you have to click on the selection block FIRST then press Shift (my copy key), then drag the selection to where you want it. This is the opposite of what i'm used to, and it's taking me forever to get used to the new Shift behavior. PLUS if you want to copy and move it again, you have to release the mouse button and the keys, and click again first, then Shift again.

It became second nature to me to just press my modifier key, then i could click on the selection and copy and move it. Release the mouse button when i'm done, then click again without having to release the modifier keys if i wanted to clone-and-drag again.

How about an option where we can choose if we want to click first or press the modifier first. I definitely don't want to lose this new shift-select feature, so i'm not really looking for a "new-way/old-way" option. Rather a "ignore Shift-select if clicking in selection" option.

Saga Musix

Since both functionalities are still provided, I don't really see the need to make it optional, but should more opinions arise, I will think about it.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Thanks Jojo for addressing this since 1.18. However, the old behavior doesn't seem to be perfectly emulated. Here's what we had and have:

1. In the old behavior, if i needed to copy a short selection to a nearby location within the pattern, i could click-drag a selection from the top-left to the bottom-right row & column point. Then i could press Shift, click inside the selection, and move a copy of it.

2. The recent change to this behavior (1.17.03.02) required that i first click on the selection THEN press Shift to move a copy. This ended up being more clicks for me because i had gotten so used to the old behavior.

3. The change in 18.02 now requires either that A. you click one point then press Shift at another point to select the rectangle between them, then while Shift is still held, you can drag a copy; or B. you press Shift BEFORE even making the first click for the click-and-drag and hold Shift throughout the copy operation, and that's AFTER you've made another selection with the above behavior.

Either method in 3 is still not satisfactory for me. I think i can get used to holding Shift before the whole SHIFT-click-and-drag selection, but it doesn't work when a single field has cursor input. IMHO the best alternative is to make this behavior optionable -- either hit Shift before clicking to drag a selection or after clicking on the slection for dragging...

Saga Musix

Did you really try 1.18.02.00? Because the old behaviour as you described it works here. I drag a selection, then i either press shift or start to drag and then press shift.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

I'll take another look when i get home, Jojo, but i decided to work on an orchestral piece last night, and found that the old "classic" behavior was still not there. For you, i'll check it out again. The new method may have screwed my own instinctive behavior. :wink:

FOLLOW-UP:
No, i'm certain of it. Look at 1. again in the first post; this is the process. (Click-and-drag to make a selection, then press Shift, then click-and-drag again to move a copy of the selection.)

This Shift bug has also sprouted back up with the Motion VSTi, altho not as much. I will re-open that for another look...

Saga Musix

Going through old requests... I still think this acts as expected. Draw a selection, then press shift while dragging the selection or even before clicking on it behaves exactly the same. The only difference is when you hit shift while making the selection. But that is kind of expected.