Test build 1.17.03.02

Started by Relabsoluness, September 22, 2009, 21:08:03

Previous topic - Next topic

Really Weird Person

1. Compo cleanup:  I am not sure what the first one means.

2. Multiple sequences:  This is accessed in OpenMPT format by right-clicking the pattern row, hovering over the Sequences item, and clicking Create new sequence. Be aware though that this is a duplication, so if you change the patterns without changing their numbers, changes will also affect any sequences which contain those pattern numbers. For example, if you have 4 sequences, all having the same pattern numbers, and you change pattern 5 in sequence 3 for example, all of the patterns with the number 5 will change in addition to that one. Note:  I am only guessing on this, as I have only done it with two sequences, though I would imagine that it would happen with any number of them > 1.

3. I am not sure on this one, as I do not use that effect.

4. That sounds interesting, but I am not 100% sure what it means nor when it would be used.

5. That is a great question, unfortunately, I do not know the answer to it.

6. Interesting changes, though I do not use the IT format too often (or many of the things in the list).

7. That sounds interesting, though I do not recall ever modifying the envelopes themselves, only the sample mapping.

8. I do not use a music keyboard to make music, only a keyboard designed to work with Windows.

9. I am not sure what that means.

10. The overflow paste is nice indeed. It is too bad though that it was not thought of before now!

11. As with the overflow paste, it is too bad that it was not thought of before now.

12. That is an interesting feature indeed.

13. I am not 100% sure that means.

14. Oh, from the Comments tab... I thought that it meant from the tree view, but that already existed.

15. Actually, I look at it quite a bit to see how long the song has been playing. :lol:

Note to Harbinger:  In case you were curious, I do still [primarily] use version 1.17.02.52. I only use the newer version to start my songs (unless they are fewer than 4,000 patterns, then I will make them, but more often than not, the songs are more than 4,000 patterns long.) From a message that I received from Relabsoluness, apparently the 65,000 number was a mistake (which probably explains why the display was not updated to not chop the five-digit pattern numbers). Perhaps 4,000 patterns was intended the whole time, but somehow that got messed up and 65,000 was used instead. That (65,000) is a good number though (but perhaps not quite a good as 65,536, as it is a power of 2 and those are good numbers, but that is 4,096 × 16, so that is not that big of a deal).

Saga Musix

Wow, what a helpful posts of "I don't know"s... ::)

RWP: It tell you something now, and I really mean this.
I would appreciate it if you stopped mentioning that you don't like what we fixed and if you stopped molesting (at least I consider this molesting) us via Forum PM. We know that the limit has been decreased, ok?! Stop telling us with all those mathematical equations that you need 64,000 empty patterns + 1,000 patterns being filled with one or two notes to look at. We (at least I) don't care. We care about a stable OpenMPT, and many parts of the program were unstable when this insanely high limit existed. Everytime I have to deal with the order list I see why it was a good idea to reduce the limit. Just to mention yet another example, it was (and still is) impossible to play certain order list items > 0x8000 using the treeview.
Seriously. Just stop bugging is with that.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

I do not recall ever mentioning that I did not like what was done. Perhaps you are overreacting due to the mentioning of the pattern limit (and/or the parts that mentioned the multipattern selection and overflow paste being implemented sooner) and superimposing that on everything else. If that is the case, I cannot help you, as how you react to my posts is your decision, not mine.

QuoteJust to mention yet another example, it was (and still is) impossible to play certain order list items > 0x8000 using the treeview.

Perhaps I am misinterpreting that, but I used both the patterns folder and the sequence folder and double clicked four numbers (I think that the first one may have been random, the second one was [pattern] 255, the third was [pattern] 256, and the fourth was [pattern] 16,766 and none of them seemed to have any problems. I will tell you this though. The extended limit has indeed caused two main problems. There are no others that I notice because of it though.

Problem #1:  In the pattern row, when scrolling past pattern 32,821 using the scroll bar, the display goes to the beginning again. The scroll bar's position is not reset, but the pattern row is. I tested this wih a shorter song to see if the problem is proportional (meaning that it would have occurred with the scroll bar at the same position) or positional (meaning position 32,820) and it appears to be positional.

Problem #2:  The one I mentioned before about the five-digit number chopping on the display. This does not seem like it would be too hard of a fix though.

There is also a problem with the position jump, but I think that would have to do with the position jump itself and the fact that it is not updated to reflect either of the new limits, not the extended pattern limit.

Saga Musix

Quote from: "Really Weird Person"
Perhaps I am misinterpreting that, but I used both the patterns folder and the sequence folder and double clicked four numbers (I think that the first one may have been random, the second one was [pattern] 255, the third was [pattern] 256, and the fourth was [pattern] 16,766 and none of them seemed to have any problems. I will tell you this though. The extended limit has indeed caused two main problems. There are no others that I notice because of it though.
I was talking about orders, not patterns. When executing an order item from the tree, it will always be ORed with 0x8000, meaning order items that should not have bit 0x8000 set would be interpreted wrong.
And I don't care about problem #1 and #2, because they have luckily been fixed by reducing the order limit, and no, they won't be fixed by increasing the limits again. And I would kindly prompt you not not mention this damn order/pattern limit again. Thank you.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Really Weird Person

I have noticed in the past where I am making a song (of the full length) where the patterns appear to be misplaced. Perhaps that is what you are referring to. I think that I can only recall one time where that happened though. Perhaps it has happened more than that to you, I am not sure. As for the problems not being fixed, that is true. They will not fix themselves indeed. I think that it has long become obvious that you are against such an addition. I have no idea if you are against the backward compatibility that doing that would also provide, but that aspect I would imagine you are not necessarily against. Perhaps the problem is that you do not want to be personally responsible for any problems that such a feature may impose, which is completely understandable.

Nahkranoth

Now that the new version is out (actually long ago) I want to ask, is there a possibility to send aftertouch messages to them synths using this brand new parameter control command or something?

Saga Musix

No, because that would be a MIDI CC. PC Notes can only control, well, parameters.

Nahkranoth

So we still can't send aftertouch? And is it possible to send MIDI CC using something as cool as PC notes?
Should I fill a request or it is already in the pipeline?
:wink:

Saga Musix

At least I didn't plan such a thing; I dunno about Relabs' plans, though ;)
But IMO, it's more important to pump out a new "official" release before adding any new features.

Nahkranoth

I guess it would be not too much of a new feature, just a logical ...um, forgot the damn word... shit:-)

Really Weird Person

I am not sure what word Nahkranoth is referring to with that post. My guess is the word feature, but I am also guessing that it is certainly not the word profanity, because he used plenty of it.

Nahkranoth

...CONTINUATION! That's the right word. Still wondering how I could forget this one :D
2RWP: yeah, say "profanity" - and here I am :lol:

Saga Musix

<insert random profanity here, just to annoy RWP>

Nahkranoth, I can guess that it's not much of a "big" feature, but it still is a feature which needs to be tested before a release can be made. And I want to have a release being made rather sooner than later.

Nahkranoth

If you wish, I can test those features concerning CC and aftertouch, yeah baby :wink:
When they will be available of course.

Saga Musix

How, when they don't even exist yet? :nuts:

(I know what you mean :P)