Integration with Audacity

Started by uncloned, September 30, 2009, 00:23:36

Previous topic - Next topic

uncloned

Sonar is able to use Cool Edit or Audition as its sample editor. All you do is select the wav and tool / (name of editor) and the wav is written out as a temp file, the editor is launched with the wav as an argument. When you exit the editor Sonar knows if the temp wav changed (time stamp?) and gives you an option to accept and load in the changed wav or discard your changes. (It does nothing if no changes are made.)

Now, two points here:

Obviously making OpenMPT into an expensive do everything DAW is silly.

But also putting tons of wav editing features would be just as silly though *extremely* useful.

I wonder if the coders know if integrating to an editor like Audacity - itself of course free, would be possible. If it is possible I humbly suggest it as an new feature.

Chris

LPChip

"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I don't use Audacity myself, but in theory communication between two wave editors (including modplug) should work without problems using the clipboard. Does copying the sample and pasting it in Audacity not work for you?

On a side note...
QuoteWhen you exit the editor Sonar knows if the temp wav changed (time stamp?)
The WinAPI provides callback functions that tell programs if a file has been changed. I guess that Sonar creates such a hook for the temp file.

QuoteBut also putting tons of wav editing features would be just as silly though *extremely* useful.
Having all the basic stuff in OpenMPT would actually be a nice thing to have, since it would put all the stuff that you frequently need in one application, increasing the work flow a lot.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I support this too.

It's a bit like the Modplug Player with the button to call MPT to edit the tracker file.

uncloned

Quote from: "Jojo"

QuoteBut also putting tons of wav editing features would be just as silly though *extremely* useful.
Having all the basic stuff in OpenMPT would actually be a nice thing to have, since it would put all the stuff that you frequently need in one application, increasing the work flow a lot.

Perhaps I'm spoiled by Sonar - I find my workflow is hampered because OpenMPT doesn't do all I need. At this point time dilation, pitch transposition, various delay effects, noise reduction (its useful for more than noise reduction) are constants in my sample usage.  

I forgot about the copy and paste - I knew about that at one point - but as I remember it is kinda awkward compared to the Sonar workflow. But again... it may just be a matter of what I'm used to. Let me try it again to see if there was another concern with copy and paste.

Please though - I mean this suggestion with humility - I can't code at the level of all of you putting together OMPT and I realize with something like this it could seem simple when in reality it isn't at all.

Harbinger

Until then, an icon which opens Audacity might be a between-step, perhaps opening Audacity with the sample (or the file it came from)....

uncloned

that's a good idea Harbinger - in theory that button could launch anything and be user configurable.

uncloned

I thought copy and paste worked both ways at one time...

I can copy from OMPT into Audition but not from Audition into OMPT.

I cannot paste from Audition into OMPT.

I cannot paste into Audacity for the life of me.

So, unless I'm really doing something wrong.... I dunno what to say.

Sam_Zen

Good idea about the edit button with a custom choice.

LPChip

Quote from: "uncloned"I thought copy and paste worked both ways at one time...

I can copy from OMPT into Audition but not from Audition into OMPT.

I cannot paste from Audition into OMPT.

I cannot paste into Audacity for the life of me.

So, unless I'm really doing something wrong.... I dunno what to say.

Make sure that you configure Audition to use the windows clipboard, not its internal clipboard manager, or windows will not receive anything in its clipboard that Audition copies.

Audacity can have the same meganism that even prevents it from receiving data (to protect the clipboard it already has)

I bet Audition checks for wav data in the windows clipboard and when there, imports it into the audition clipboard.

I know Cool Edit had this feature, and Adobe has bought Cool Edit, so it most likelly is this.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

uncloned

I am using audacity 1.2.6 = the latest stable release

I was unable to find an option to use the windows clipboard - and I am still unable to paste into audacity from OMPT

I was able to paste from OMPT into Cool Edit 2

I cannot paste from Cool Edit into OMPT

(I took a visually recognizable wave form, loaded into OMPT, copied and pasted into cool edit, reversed, copied from cool edit and attempted to paste into OMPT with the wav highlighted and not and tried using the menu pate command and control v for both highlight instance.)

I saw pitch shifting is available in OMPT sample section - nice.... BUT the undo does not work???  It would be nice to have an undo since I screw up alot and also I try things, find they suck, and then go back,

Saga Musix

Use "preview" mode for pitch-shifting. You can undo your experiments then.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

no offense but where is that and how am I to know?

:?

Saga Musix

uncloned

So its just for pitch shifting?

to be honest it is not obvious.... even if I saw it - preview mode could be.. say lower quality for weaker cpu types.

but this is off the topic - cut and paste does not seem to work, is integration with audacity possible?