On EASILY synchronizing WAV samples to OMPT tempo/MIDI Clock

Started by AmericanDiamond, May 07, 2009, 06:00:43

Previous topic - Next topic

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Jojo"And non-integer tempos can easily be used, for example by an alternating Txx-Scheme. For example, for a tempo of 135.5 BPM you could simply put T87 on every second row and T88 on all the others.

I'm not so sure that that can be described as "easy"... :D

Saga Musix

why, what part of that idea would you consider as "complicated"? ;P
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

uncloned

perhaps tedious is a better term?

unless can you get a macro of some type to put in all of those statements?

Saga Musix

Well, I wouldn't really see as tedious work - write it down once, copy paste paste paste paste paste... voilà, one pattern of Txx commands. Now use c&p or duplicate patterns as always to proceed. It's not like there is nothing else that has to be copied to every pattern (this doesn't apply to all genres and tunes of course), so it would be only one more channel to copy, if at all.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

AmericanDiamond

Quote from: "Jojo"And what do you mean with "incorporating" Software, please? ModPlug is not a DJ toll primarily, nor a beatmatching software.
Well, I know it's not beatmatching software; that's the whole point of creating this topic.  But I meant if there was any software, like the ones I mentioned, that can work with or be used in conjunction (linked) with OMPT as far as tempo is concerned.  I have no idea how this would work, but I hope that clarifies my question.

Quote from: "Jojo"And non-integer tempos can easily be used, for example by an alternating Txx-Scheme. For example, for a tempo of 135.5 BPM you could simply put T87 on every second row and T88 on all the others.
I really don't think so, Jojo.  That might be fine for a tempo of 135.5 BPM, but what about tempos of 125.61 or 145.83?  Using the Txx scheme is what I do now, but the point is I had to find that out on my own, and for decimal tempos like the last two, it's still not a great matching.[/b]

psishock

That precise bpm syncing is not possible in ompt (i can imagine, trying to route in some beatmaching stuff will give you further trouble, if possible at all, and honestly any dj software that does not change the pitch gives unsatisfying quality with realtime algorithms for studio purposes), you need to look for another trackers that support decimal precision. Or think outside the box, transform your samples in any favored wave editor that supports good FFT algorithms, or even better with oscillator synthesis, to your desired exact (decimal-less) bpm, and import it afterwards in ompt. This way the pitch and the waveform will be intact (altered, but unnoticeable, to be exact), and you can do anything you want with it easily, without any future headache within the tracker, like constant bpm changes, tempo hacking, tiresome copy/pastes, etc. Clean and proper job.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

QuoteI have no idea how this would work
To be honest, neither can I.

LPChip

And if you run OpenMPT through a midi host that has a normal midi clock? Isn't it synced to a good BPM then?
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Saga Musix

I don't know how pelya's VSTi worked, but modplug uses integers for tempo, so I wouldn't be sure if it would really work.

AmericanDiamond

Quote from: "psishock"...Or think outside the box, transform your samples in any favored wave editor that supports good FFT algorithms, or even better with oscillator synthesis, to your desired exact (decimal-less) bpm, and import it afterwards in ompt. This way the pitch and the waveform will be intact (altered, but unnoticeable, to be exact), and you can do anything you want with it easily, without any future headache within the tracker, like constant bpm changes, tempo hacking, tiresome copy/pastes, etc. Clean and proper job.

I tried doing this in Audacity, but I don't know what algorithm it uses for it's Change Tempo option.  I tried to finetune the tempo, export as WAV and then use MixMeister BPM to calculate the new tempo, all a hit-and-miss; it still turned out to be decimal, just another decimal number besides the original.  By the way, the WAV files I use are full recordings, not tones.  So which other wave editors use those algorithms or oscillator synthesis (what is that?  I googled it and don't see it related to BPM)?

psishock

I'm personally using Goldwave, the timewarp tool in it can work with precise percentages on the tempo. So if the original bpm is lets say 126.23 we call that 100%, you can easy count with basic mathematics, how many percentage do you need to increase, till you get 140 example.
I've talked about full recordings too, like vocal sessions example, not tones, you can check my vocal tunes, i've matched the wav bpm very precisely to my desired one, they didn't slip, and they were much slower originally.
Oscillator synthesis is an addition to the FFT algorithms to give you more "natural" sounding after the sample transformation. Sometimes the vocals example may sound "strange" after very big bpm changes with normal FFT settings, the oscillator synthesis will help to improve the outcome (dont ask me how it exactly works, i guess it takes waveform oscillators in the picture to give you more precise outcome).

LPChip

If you're using full-length wave files, you might want to use a different tool here. I can recommend Energy XT for this. Its a sequencer that supports wave files too. I use it next to OpenMPT.

It does however cost 45 dollar.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

I'm sure that even free wave editors have FFT algorithms, that are very similar to the one i use, and helped him with the method, how should he think and act, when facing with similar problem. (as i take, he was even satisfied with the beatmatching dj software quality, so about anything would do the trip for him, as long it matches the bpm)

Diamond

I've been requesting a feature for locking samples to the songs tempo for years.
http://forum.openmpt.org/index.php?topic=2868.0&highlight=
It's perfectly doable.  MadTracker, Psycle and other trackers have had this capability for quite some time now.

psishock

yea. we have tons of requested "important" features, but we have two, more or less active developers. :P
So instead of waiting for some uncertain time after feature upgrade releases, it's a better idea to find good alternatives and solutions for our problems, and be able to go on, with producing something =)