[uplifting trance]Signal Chain - Royal 1.1 full (mp3) update

Started by psishock, December 21, 2008, 23:52:44

Previous topic - Next topic

tvdude

Thanks for the kind mention Sam Zen. :D

psischock, I hope you found that sams link to be working fine.  Just so you know, I will be uploading hopefully within the month, I'm writing again for the first time in about 4 months.  I love writing music, but haven't been inspired lately, I just picked it up again in the last couple of weeks.  I'll look forward to your opinion when I upload.
tvdude
"If you look ten feet into a five foot well, you will see what you choose to see."

psishock

Thank you Sam.
Tvdude, i've found your PM, i just wasn't near my pc these days, also i'm glad that you've regained the inspiration, will keep an eye for your new stuff.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Zaphoid

Wonderful mix man.  Professional sounds and it actually progresses and takes you places!   Melodies are smart and an adventure to listen to. The melody actually drives the music instead of just the beat.   It's so much more than a piece of smelly cheese!!!!  I think I need to play with your music on the digital DJ decks and see what I can come up with.  Bravo! You make my trance tracks sound like child's play.     :idea:

psishock

Thank you for kind words Zaphoid, unfortunately it really lacks of technology and mastering, mostly because it was one of my first VSTi tracks (and i was unexperienced with the whole technology), but nevertheless it's an excellent material to make some really cool and kickin' tune from it. The melody is really catchy and the sounds are pretty.

QuoteYou make my trance tracks sound like child's play.
Is that so? Inspiring people to improve their standards and make better and better stuff is one of my goals. So go on, don't stay on a same spot, there are a tons of ways how can you improve your music. I love when people are getting really creative with the structure, sound progressions.

Zaphoid

Quote from: psishockThank you for kind words Zaphoid, unfortunately it really lacks of technology and mastering, mostly because it was one of my first VSTi tracks (and i was unexperienced with the whole technology), but nevertheless it's an excellent material to make some really cool and kickin' tune from it. The melody is really catchy and the sounds are pretty.

Mastering sounded ok to me.  I think your too hard on yourself.  When it comes to artistry and musical creativity it is not what you know but what you do with what you know that counts.  In other words working within your limitations allows you to worry less about technology and not knowing something and more on letting those creative juices flow freely.  Do you think that Bob Dylan cared about sounding out of tune?  He was not a good musician at least at the time and his voice sounded like crap.  He although being weak in those areas became one of the most well known lyricists and songwriters.   :D

psishock

that is true, i get your point Zaphoid, but my expectations are always pushing the limits, that's the way i work. :D I'm able to dig new grounds with this.
I think i can be successful in both, excellent sounding and technology, while keeping my creative ideas and progressions. If i'm not satisfied with any of my sides, i'm feeling that something is missing, so i just had to improve my weak points, to be able to go on further.

QuoteI think your too hard on yourself.
Sorry, i just couldn't resist to hit this joke. :D

Harbinger

Love the comics! That's hilarious! :lol:  I'm a grammar nazi too, but only with myself!

You commented, psishock, about the VST inexperience you were working under when assembling this track. But you know, it just goes to show you, real talent shines through lack of experience. Everytime you talk about this track, you seem to downplay it, saying it's not your best work, because of some limitation or another. And yet, this is one your BEST pieces. There is almost a concerto type of interplay between "instruments" and a consideration for composition that smacks of classicalism.

This is still in my rotation, and isn't going away. 8)

Sam_Zen

psishock

Harbinger, i know how you feel, but i try not to forget the other aspects and the technical part as well. I'm checking my compositions from several angles. I am aware that this piece has one of the best melodic progression and the pad/lead sounds are nice enough to listen, but i am also aware that the percussion work is more than crappy. Also the bass kick, and the bassline is rather weak, (mostly) because of the lack of sidechaining and eq separation, therefore the sounds are blurred together and pushing over each other. It lacks of stereo play as well. People tend to notice these stuff as well, apart from the melodic progression stuff. The best example is, that i was attending to an original competition whit this tune, but failed to be even noticed. The first 3 winner songs were (alot) weaker in melody and variation aspects compared to this tune, but were polished nicely from technical view, so majority of the people voted for them, because everything was in the right place, therefore it was nice enough to listen for most ears. "Tracked" musics mostly are unpolished from technically view and mostly focusing to bring out the artistic elements. I understand that this could be one of the reasons, why they aren't recognized by most of the people.
Now i could chose to do music for only myself and for other few ears and do something else for living, or try to blend it enough, improve the weak points to match potentially wider audience, thus i could be able to work on the field i love. I will try to maintain the creativity and push the technical level to acceptable, and if will still fail to accomplish anything worthwhile, i will stand down from my carrier, look for a regular daily job and will continue to compose for friends and myself.

Once again, i'm not trying to downplay this tune (one of the reasons is, because i like it a lot), but speaking from my experiences and viewing it from many aspects.

bully34

Visit my webpage: http://www.ctgmusic.com/bully34

&

Add me to MSN: [email]justin_tep@live.co[/email],

psishock

uncloned

I'm not a big trance fan - nonetheless it is hard not to get caught up in this!

the sounds you use are great and well balanced - and... there is a lot more to this then 99% of the trance I've listened to.

The only critique is - is this possibly too compressed? Or are you side chaining with the kick or something?

psishock

hey uncloned,

QuoteThe only critique is - is this possibly too compressed? Or are you side chaining with the kick or something?
can you describe the trouble more, or if happens rarely, can you point out the second? I'm not sure what is bothering your ears.
I am sidechaining yes, to give that pumping push with each kick, but that shouldn't sound "negative". I was intentionally used heavy pushes on a few parts when those highly reverbed basskicks hit on the dramatic moments, to give even more room to the dominant sounds.

uncloned

at 2:30 at 6:51

it is probably the "pumping" I don't like - so that's a personal preference and I'm not at all in your target audience.

psishock

hmmm, strangely i don't notice anything unusual on those times, but listened to it a few times. Mayb your ears are starting to notice the monotonic sidechaining on those times (it's there all the time btw) and you get bothered by it. I will leave it like this then for now.