Default volume vs Global Volume

Started by Harbinger, July 18, 2009, 00:50:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Harbinger

Looked here but still didn't understand the difference between a sample's Default volume and its Global volume.

What is being affected with the volume commands? When do i need one setting more than the other.

I need a clear explanation of the difference between these two settings as they look to be practically the same thing.

psishock

ok, this ones is a bit more tricky, they have totally different purposes:
(i need to bring patterns tab for this) you can enter volume for each sample with v(xx) command, ranged from v00 to v64 right? Ok, the Default volume sets the default value for this variable, so if you don't enter a specific volume effect in patterns tab (leave the field blank), the sample will sound with the pre-set default one.
Example, default volume set to 20:
|C-501v10  
|C-501...    (blank value detected -> will sound with v20)
|C-501v50  
|C-501v15  

Now, the Global volume works like a post-amp effect. The tracker will apply every vxx command from v00 to v64, then will process with this variable.

Short example, if Global volume is set to 64 (full)
|C-501v32  
|C-501v08
|C-501v64  
|C-501v16  
will sound with full strength.

If we have the same pattern data, but with Global volume reduced to 16, you will still have the full vxx resolution (from v00-v64) applied, but everything will sound 1/4 loud, because of the applied Global volume post effect. Same as if you would enter:
|C-501v08
|C-501v02
|C-501v16  
|C-501v04
with Global volume set to full, 64.

So Global volume will give you a good post-volume control, while you don't have to mess with your precise pattern data, and Default volume is simply a preset value, for blank vxx volume slots.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Harbinger

Excellent way of putting it! Nothing more needs to be added. Examples and everything! :D

This will help me in writing about it in the manual... 8)

psishock

I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Saga Musix

As we had it about Normalization lately, you could say that Global Volume works like "de-normalizing" or simply amplifying the sample (using Ctrl+M), but without any loss of information, as it's done in the mixing chain.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.