Send aftertouch in OMPT using volume commands

Started by Nahkranoth, June 05, 2009, 07:51:20

Previous topic - Next topic

Nahkranoth

Just as the topic says, I'm asking ye noble devs to add this ability. I suggest to add one thing in the Instrument tab: under the Volume handling label in the combo there should be one more item - "Aftertouch".
So when the volume commands are used without notes, they will be processed as aftertouch. If anyone can think of a better way than volume commands, please suggest.

Nahkranoth

Saga Musix

No response doesn't mean that nobody's interested... And I cannot really answer ALL requests as a dev, either.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

bvanoudtshoorn

I'd like this.

Especially since it'd give me yet another workaround for dealing with Automation in OpenMPt -- I already assign velocity and pitch bend within Kontakt to various parameters, and aftertouch would be a welcome addition. :)

Harbinger

When i hook up my MIDI keyboard to MPT for input, i'm definitely gonna make use of this for some VSTi's (the Korg M1 uses AT).

I vote Yes for Aftertouch processing...  :wink:

Saga Musix

I'm currently working on a new macro system (which supports all variables that Impulse Tracker actually supported)... with this, aftertouch should be easier to send... All you need would be to put a Zxx effect next to your volume commands (its parameter doesn't matter). Maybe a global aftertouch macro could then be added later.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Christofori

Dated reply.. but I just gotta say it..

Jojo's da MAN. :D
All the devs rock really; it's just that I've dealt with jojo mainly.  And he rocks hardcore all night long, then all day the next day.. like a perpetual energy machine! :D

(I'm beginning to understand why I may've thought you were a bit stand-off-ish [FE touchy] about all my MIDI CC threads more and more.. looks like you've been working on about the same thing for a while already..!)

:drool:  new macros (system)!  (not to mention AT, which had I been around at the time I'd have jumped right in and said "Yay!  Add it plz omgkthxlol!" or the like.)

(Yes, I really do like 'tangents' [or speaking with nested parentheticals if you'd rather]). :D
/christofori
'slightly disturbed and wonderfully content'
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

Well, there's not so much "new" about the macro system; i.e. it brings no new concepts or anything, but it expands the macros' capabilites as described in the MIDI.TXT from Impulse Tracker. Later, it might be extended to allow per-instrument macros for volume and panning and stuff, which might bring some very nice improvements.

Christofori

Perhaps (if I may suggest..) you could be so kind as to set the new macro system to become so forward-thinking that it could be developed into a 'MIDI control event' kind of scheme one day, too..?  That's about where the next logical step would take it IMO -- while you're talking about possibility. :)

I'll go find the MIDI.txt file and read up on it to gain a better idea per the end goals and concepts, so I'll at least be on the same page. No sense talking about something irrelevant or redundant.. ;)
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

Rakib

^^

Christofori

Quote from: Rakib on June 26, 2011, 23:48:38
http://schismtracker.org/wiki/MIDI.TXT

Thanks indeed. :)  I'd almost forgotten to go find it, now I didn't have to. :)

Jojo will be happy that I'll refrain from questions until after the update containing the code is released; though I'm nonetheless going to mention that I hope the volume envelope and/or fade settings in the instrument tab will be taken into account by the MIDI volume variable as stated in the .txt file... :D
/christofori
*Master of the Obvious*

Saga Musix

QuoteI hope the volume envelope and/or fade settings in the instrument tab will be taken into account by the MIDI volume variable as stated in the .txt file...
Maybe not directly, because every plugin (and indeed, every hardware synth) can respond in a different way to those MIDI messages. The "global" IT MIDI macros just have one volume and one panning macro, which was sufficient for Impulse Tracker, because the macros were meant to be used with MIDI hardware - and indeed you can just send MIDI messages to one MIDI device at a time in Impulse Tracker. However, since you can send MIDI messages to so many different plugins in OpenMPT, it might be wise to add volume and pan macros for each plugin.