Group VST's

Started by Rakib, May 27, 2009, 00:03:23

Previous topic - Next topic

Rakib

Ability to group the vst's in sections, like one for compressor, reverb and so on. Today with many vst it is sometimes difficult to find the one vst you are looking for.
^^

LPChip

Quote from: "Rakib"Ability to group the vst's in sections, like one for compressor, reverb and so on. Today with many vst it is sometimes difficult to find the one vst you are looking for.

It shouldn't be that hard.

If you assign a vst to an instrument, you can select that instrument, and press the edit button next to it (both in the general tab and instrument tab).

If you assign a vst to a channel, you can enable to show vst plugins. You can then click it to edit that plugin.

If you have a chain, press edit, then choose one of the menu's (can't remember the name right now) and select output->compressor.

It'll then open your compressor. Note that you don't need to close your plugins while tweaking the settings, and once you've tweaked the settings, you no longer should need to tweak them anyway.

Additionally, I use a chainer to group all my instruments/effects for one instrument, so I can click edit and get every plugin for that sound. That really works the best.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

Not what I meant. Here is a picture to illustrate

^^

Harbinger

That would be helpful, but i wonder (as a non-programmer) how that could be implemented properly, unless you restrict the directory grouping for one level below the VST folder. The reason it might be a problem is that VSTs (including instruments) are sought at any level within the VST folder specified in your Preferences. VSTs can be grouped by developer and type already as you know, by being in their own folder -- just the folder they are located in is not shown in the Plugin dialog.

So i'm sure a dev would have to dictate that VSTs would have to be shown perhaps in the UPPERMOST folder BELOW the VST/VSTi folder. IOW, you could move all your reverbs to one folder (some of them perhaps in their own folder) in your VST folder, but your Reverb folder would the next level inside the VST folder, and MPT would recognize that was part of a group.

But (here's a thought), what if i wanted to have some of them grouped but others not. Then my idea (of using folder levels) is not a good idea. So how it would be implemented? :? Perhaps you could have a listing of Groupings in the Preferences dialog (in a list box), and MPT would keep a list of these in the config file as headings (like [Reverb], [Compressors], etc.) and any VST found that was listed under one of the Grouping headings would only be shown when the Grouping folder icon (in the Plugin dialog like the one in your image) was opened. I guess that's how it could work....

But overall, IMHO i think it would a be a minor though helpful feature for MPT. 8)

Rakib

Maybe it would be easier if had the vst listed under the tree-view?
^^