[Compo:R]The MODPlug Tracker Compo 2009

Started by LPChip, April 25, 2009, 11:42:17

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

2 Rxn : Of course it's not the other way around. A triangle is a straightforward predictable waveform,
while noise is quite irregular per defintion, so will need a higher resolution to keep it a bit precise.

Rxn

Hi Sam_Zen,

the problem about 8 bits is that it has high levels of quantization noise.
So, if you take a noise sample in 8 bits, chances are you won't tell the
difference from 16 bits, coz if you add some noise to noise you will get
(surprisingly) noise.

For distinctly shaped waves though 8 bits and 16 bits are two worlds of
differences though.

LPChip,

here is 16 bits triangle
for you if you are willing to replace it. Also I noticed there is a bit of silence
in the triangle that you posted which might not be necessary. Generally,
if you need a simple wave form, any decent wave editor can do that in a
couple of mouse clicks without a need for messing about with synths.

Sam_Zen

2 Rxn : You've got a point there about the noise.
And indeed, a wave editor can generate an exact period of a certain waveform at a certain frequency.

LPChip

Changing the triangle is not allowed.

I want to keep the samples as they are. I agree that it might've been better, but for the sake of keeping things as they are, I don't want to replace the sample at this time. Not that I think it matters that much anyway.
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

Rakib

Quote from: "Jojo"In case you didn't know, you can set per-instrument resampling which overrides the default resampling.

Aah, didn't see it before now. But since we are working with chiptunes, I suggest no resampling should be used.

For the rest of you, does anyone have any electrostyle chiptunes, need inspiration?
Never made electro or chiptunes before, so why not try both of them together.
^^

bvanoudtshoorn

Quote from: "Rakib"...since we are working with chiptunes, I suggest no resampling should be used.

Who said anything about chiptunes? :D

Personally, I'm quite happy for people to use whatever interpolation they want. With the 8bit triangle sample, you kinda need it or you can strange artifacts. Besides, you can use the resampling mode as an effect in itself, to change the way the sample sounds fundamentally. :) I know that I'm using different modes on different instruments, because for some instruments I want a sharper sound than others.

maleek

I'll download the sample pack tomorrow. I hope I can come up with something that I can submit to this here excellent compo. :)

LPChip

I'm actually having some trouble getting something good.

I thought I had a few ideas but it seems harder than I thought. X)

If many people have this, I don't mind adding another month to the deadline (ofcource only if we all agree upon this)
"Heh, maybe I should've joined the compo only because it would've meant I wouldn't have had to worry about a damn EQ or compressor for a change. " - Atlantis
"yes.. I think in this case it was wishful thinking: MPT is makng my life hard so it must be wrong" - Rewbs

psishock

no need for that LP, we have almost a whole month to finish something worthwhile. It will go smoothly, just wait for the right inspiration.
I'm as calm as a synth without a player.  (Sam_Zen)

Sam_Zen

I would welcome another month. Because I'll have to get familiar with IT-commands first.

Saga Musix

well, you can write your tune in XM, convert it to IT and then adjust stuff if it doesn't sound right. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Sam_Zen

I considered that option, but conversion is not enough, because IT has some commands which XM hasn't.

Rakib

Extending the deadline will only make me forget to fisnish the song.
^^

BooT-SectoR-ViruZ

i'll have a look at the samples in the next few days, though i'll most likely be busy with finishing my part of a split cd in the next 2 weeks.

anyways... be sure to expect some wicked noise from berlin.
10 years on ModPlug... f#cking hell...

Soundcloud for B-S-V | Soundcloud for DX4-100 | Bandcamp for B-S-V

Louigi Verona

I decided to try this out. So far - complete crap is my output.

Anyway, important question - can we duplicate samples or not?