Side-chaining possible?

Started by Harbinger, January 10, 2009, 18:11:40

Previous topic - Next topic

Sam_Zen

Saga Musix

good point. :P
one can't reall argue about music, since it's something very personal, and arguing about techniques is the most sensless thing one can probably do. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

älskling

Quote from: "Jojo"and arguing about techniques is the most sensless thing one can probably do. :)
I think it's not senseless to argue about techniques when someone gives senseless advice. :P

Nahkranoth

Don't know if the question still needs to be answered, but sidechaining in OMPT should be possible using TwistedLemon SideKick. Dead easy if you ask me, like this:
Bass->Sidekick (first instance)
BD->Sidekick (second instance)
Just play with parameters of these 2 sidekicks or RTFM :D

[EDIT] Dayum! Just looked at their site and now it's updated and payware. How in the hell I've got that old free version, I don't know.

Saga Musix

The best sidechain compressor emulation I could find so far that works inside modplug is the one that seventhson suggested (KlangLabs MicroGate). All you have to do is duplicating the "source channel" (i.e. the channel that should duck the other signal), but assign it to an instrument that has no sound by itself, but it has to be assigned to the VST on a MIDI channel (see instrument tab). works like a charm <3
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Excellent detective work, Jojo! And the thing is FREEEEE!! :P

Now i'l try it when i need it..... :)

doveraudio

using sidechaining in some genres though is really the way do go... pump a sub with yr kicks an all that.. bump - bump - baoooowwmfh...... as opposed to bump bump - ooom

Saga Musix

Sidechaning can add quite a lot to the clearness of the mix - when several instruments (f.e. bass instruments) are fighting for the same frequency, it's better to disable one of them when the other is playing. so far, so good, but it's also applied to other frequencies and more heavily than needed in the "french house" productions, which makes them really pumping - which is a whole different story again. however, if you just sidechain a bass and a bass drum, you won't even notice that the bass fades away!