[Synth Pop] Unforeseen Consequences (mp3)

Started by TheEagle, March 19, 2009, 17:34:41

Previous topic - Next topic

Saga Musix

Why that? Sorry, but give me a few reasons. I'm not a friend of closed-source music.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Jojo"Why that? Sorry, but give me a few reasons.
1st: most of the other composers didn't release their mod-files, so why should I do?
2nd: even if I would release the mod-file, you won't be able to play it, because I use some free and some commercial vsti that I bought some time ago...
3rd: I support the "free-music-for-all-idea" but I don't want to let everybody edit my songs...
4th: The songs should sound equal everywhere. The sounding of mod-files depends on the player-software and it's settings...

If you are interested in a special part of the song (maybe the drums or the main-melody) I could extract it to a seperate wav (mp3) file and give it to you....

Quote from: "Jojo"I'm not a friend of closed-source music.
Well, you are not a friend of music that you can't edit? Hmm, I think most of the music in this world isn't open source (it isn't even free). But nevertheless there are many likable songs out there....

Saga Musix

Quote1st: most of the other composers didn't release their mod-files, so why should I do?
Really? At The Mod Archive, we have mod music from thousands of people, including mine.

QuoteWell, you are not a friend of music that you can't edit? Hmm, I think most of the music in this world isn't open source (it isn't even free). But nevertheless there are many likable songs out there....
I didn't say that I listen to it, or that I find it particulary good that it's closed source. Everyone who releases his source files is a great sport, be it module files, be it Reason files, be it Cubase files. There's no reason not to release a source file just because other people may not be able to play it because they're missing a particular plugin. Are you really that paranoid that you think that everyone is going to edit your work, release it under their own name and maybe sell it, in other words "steal" it? Then you have a clearly wrong image of the mod scene.
Module music is a great platform to learn from each other, because even if you don't posess commerical vst plugins, you still have the score to look at, you can have a look at the score to learn from it, how certain effects were done etc. What's wrong with that?

And last but not least:

4th: The songs should sound equal everywhere. The sounding of mod-files depends on the player-software and it's settings...
That really shouldn't be the case. It's true for General MIDI stuff because of different soundfonts, but it is not true (should not be true) for modules - given that the replayer routines don't have any bugs, they should produce the same output. Supporting VST(i)s is another story, since it's a ModPlug-Specific thing, but still, everyone who has modplug and who has the VST(i)s is able to play the tune exactly the way it was intended to be played.

BTW: If I come across a nice module that's only available as a stream (MP3/OGG/whatever), I always ask the author if he could give me the original module file. Simply because I want to have a look at it, see how it's done, how you can get such an awesome sound out of that little file. You were the first one to refuse this.
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

TheEagle

*sigh* I will think about it. But now I'm too tired...

gn8

Sam_Zen

Maybe a rare occasion :) , but I agree fully here with Jojo..
It stays quite a strange phenomenon, that scores of Mozart or Varese are copied around for study or performance,
while composers using tracker modules are hiding their (binary) scores, the module, and only publish the final mix in mp3-format.

TheEagle

Maybe I've been misunderstood. I really had no problem to share the mod-file if the song was completely sample-based so you could hear all the instruments while playing.

Anyway, you may download the mod-file here but you won't hear anything exept the drumkit in the first part and some strings...

Saga Musix

Thanks a lot! Got all VSTis downloaded (demo version of the commercial plugin), but some of the instrument<->vsti assignments seem to be missing...?

TheEagle