[Synth Pop] Unforeseen Consequences (mp3)

Started by TheEagle, March 19, 2009, 17:34:41

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEagle

This some nice synth-pop stuff:

Unforeseen Consequences

I hope you'll enjoy this release.

Greetings
The Eagle

Sam_Zen

Indeed quite enjoyable. Maybe a bit a pity that the strings behind the lead follow the same notes, instead of some counterpart sometimes. A matter of taste of course.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Sam_Zen"Maybe a bit a pity that the strings behind the lead follow the same notes, instead of some counterpart sometimes. A matter of taste of course.
In an earlier version of this song I experimented with some counterparts to the lead but it sounded a bit strange to me...there was always something wrong somehow (I can't give you a better explaination. My english is not good enough...sorry for that...)

Finally I decided to let the strings simply follow the lead...

uncloned

has a nice PC demo era sound with some modern percussion - a very nice mix. makes for easy listening.

Sam_Zen

2 TheEagle : If something is intentional, it's fine by me as far as the composition is concerned..

TheEagle

Thank you for your feedbacks..

Greetings
TheEagle

Saga Musix

Do you happen to use the Tunefish2 softsynth? This tune sounds quite like Payne's music which uses Tunefish2. Nice work :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

TheEagle

Quote from: "Jojo"Do you happen to use the Tunefish2 softsynth? This tune sounds quite like Payne's music which uses Tunefish2.

No. Until now I neither heard about a VSTi called Tunefish nor about Payne's music...:oops:
I will "google" for it....

Quote from: "Jojo"Nice work :)

Thank you  :D

Harbinger

Notes as i'm listening:

Unfortunately i played this back-to-back with Left Unsatisfied and thought i was listening to the same song. The engineering and levels are okay for this genre, but again, from one composer to another, your songs have a TENDENCY to sound like they're lazy, like they don't want us to get up and move. May i suggest with humility that in future projects, you use a little more syncopation and more classical chord progressions -- UNLESS you want to add lyrics, in which case a simply structured song gives the floor to the vocals.
I love the change of drumsets halfway thru the song (a favorite technique of my own drummer when she's programming the drum track), but it's not enough to keep the song from sounding...uhm,..."fatigued." Be daring! Jump out of your comfortable musical skin and experiment with refrains and bridges, I can hear the potential that you have for it, and your engineering skills keeps the music "sane", but perhaps you need more confidance and bravado. Even with this genre, there's nothing wrong with experimentation of rhythmic and melodic structure to keep the listener from falling asleep! 8)

TheEagle

Quote from: "Harbinger"Notes as i'm listening:

Unfortunately i played this back-to-back with Left Unsatisfied and thought i was listening to the same song. The engineering and levels are okay for this genre, but again, from one composer to another, your songs have a TENDENCY to sound like they're lazy, like they don't want us to get up and move. May i suggest with humility that in future projects, you use a little more syncopation and more classical chord progressions -- UNLESS you want to add lyrics, in which case a simply structured song gives the floor to the vocals.
I love the change of drumsets halfway thru the song (a favorite technique of my own drummer when she's programming the drum track), but it's not enough to keep the song from sounding...uhm,..."fatigued." Be daring! Jump out of your comfortable musical skin and experiment with refrains and bridges, I can hear the potential that you have for it, and your engineering skills keeps the music "sane", but perhaps you need more confidance and bravado. Even with this genre, there's nothing wrong with experimentation of rhythmic and melodic structure to keep the listener from falling asleep! 8)

Thank you for your feedback...
Well, I know that my songs are far away from any professional claims. Neither I had ANY musical education (eg. I couldn't explain the difference between minor and mayor chords) nor am I very musically by "nature".
It took years until I as able to create a song like this and to understand the basics of creating music.
I always loved music but composing is only one of many things I like to do in my (rare) spare time,  it's not my life...

You know, it's a matter of taste if a song sounds interesting or, as you wrote, "fatigued".

Eg. I listened to your "Panorama" and I have to say: nice drums, base and fx works. But what about the melody? Personally I try to set a focus on the melody in my songs (let's forget my "Left Unsatisfied". This one was only an experiment..) and I think about some lyrics that may fit.
The melody in your "Panorama" seems to consist of only three or four notes that are played up and down with some variations in the backgrund (fx, percs). And sometimes the same melody is played by  (very nice sounding) strings and guitars. But that's not enough (for sombody like me who loves complex melodies) to say: "that song is interesting"

I REALLY don't mean to offend you, but I think we understand music in a different way...a matter of taste, you know.

Peace
The Eagle

Saga Musix

Quote from: "TheEagle"No. Until now I neither heard about a VSTi called Tunefish nor about Payne's music...:oops:
I will "google" for it....

http://www.payne-music.net/ :)

I never got the tunefish synth running in MPT, that's why I was curious. :)
» No support, bug reports, feature requests via private messages - they will not be answered. Use the forums and the issue tracker so that everyone can benefit from your post.

Harbinger

Like you i don't compose professionally. To me it is one of many artistic outlets i have. But i do have many years experience at this from a non-professional POV, and just certain things you pick up on the way. The fact that you're able to put together tracks like this without any formal training says a lot about your talent as well as the effectiveness of the tools you use (praise be to MPT! :boogie: ). But both of us are interested in how our music comes across, or otherwise we wouldn't share it for others and open it up for comments. Usually we can get something constructive or helpful from like-minded colleagues. That's all i wanted to do for you.

Quote from: "TheEagle"I listened to your "Panorama" and I have to say: nice drums, base and fx works. But what about the melody? Personally I try to set a focus on the melody in my songs (let's forget my "Left Unsatisfied". This one was only an experiment..) and I think about some lyrics that may fit.
The melody in your "Panorama" seems to consist of only three or four notes that are played up and down with some variations in the backgrund (fx, percs). And sometimes the same melody is played by  (very nice sounding) strings and guitars. But that's not enough (for sombody like me who loves complex melodies) to say: "that song is interesting"

Oh, i would have loved this input over there  :D  Do me a favor and take this comment and transfer it over there, so i can respond. I value your insight in my music, but i'm not interested in your composer's ear, but your LISTENER's ear. Just a regular someone who listens to music and doesn't analyze it for its technique, but rather what it imparts -- what does it make you feel, what mood does it further, what vision does it give you, things like that. You and i have many years of composition experience difference, but you still have ears, and in that respect we're equal.
Plus you expect an honest appraisal from anyone who listens (if you ask), and we expect one from you for our music too. :wink:

Quote from: "TheEagle"I REALLY don't mean to offend you, but I think we understand music in a different way...a matter of taste, you know.

Your opinion never offends anyone here in these forums (i hope i'm allowed to speak for everyone in this forum), unless you're trying to belittle someone personally. 8)

TheEagle

Quote from: "Harbinger"Usually we can get something constructive or helpful from like-minded colleagues. That's all i wanted to do for you.
I know. And I'm sorry. The keywords "fatigued" and "falling asleep" in relation to this song affected my blood pressure for a moment....:wink:
Maybe my first reaction wasn't suitable.

Quote from: "Harbinger"I'm not interested in your composer's ear, but your LISTENER's ear. Just a regular someone who listens to music and doesn't analyze it for its technique, but rather what it imparts -- what does it make you feel, what mood does it further, what vision does it give you, things like that. You and i have many years of composition experience difference, but you still have ears, and in that respect we're equal.
Well, it's not that easy. I can't simply turn off the "composers ear". Since I began to compose I start "automatically" analyzing a new song while listening.    It is a blessing and a curse at the same time. There are very few songs "out there" touching me that deep that I "forget" analyzing...

Quote from: "Harbinger"
Plus you expect an honest appraisal from anyone who listens (if you ask), and we expect one from you for our music too. :wink:
You're right. I listened to almost every song that was discussed in the forum since november 2008 but I didn't wrote anything, 'cause it's very difficult for me to express myself in english.
I will try to be more active in this forum in the future...

Saga Musix

By the way, how about released the module file? :)

TheEagle

Quote from: "Jojo"By the way, how about released the module file? :)
No way... :wink: